Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Add a 4-6 inch overnight snowfall around March 10th to ruin the shutout that melts all away on mid 50's temps with bright sunshine next day and I think it would be complete.

Lol.  1975-76 had less than a half an inch of snowfall in this area for the season through early March.   13 of the last 19 days of February were above 60 degrees; 6 of those days topped 70.  By March 5th highs had reached 80 degrees.  Then on March 9, the temps fell and a storm dropped 9" overnight (at MRB.). In the next 24 hours, temps rebounded above freezing and into the 50's and all of it melted.

i wonder what weenies like we have here were saying then ?  As a 12 year old, all I remember was wading in the creeks of western Md. and fishing in winter.

9 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Lol.  1975-76 had less than a half an inch of snowfall in this area for the season through early March.   13 of the last 19 days of February were above 60 degrees; 6 of those days topped 70.  By March 5th highs had reached 80 degrees.  Then on March 9, the temps fell and a storm dropped 9" overnight (at MRB.). In the next 24 hours, temps rebounded above freezing and into the 50's and all of it melted.

i wonder what weenies like we have here were saying then ?  As a 12 year old, all I remember was wading in the creeks of western Md. and fishing in winter.

LOL, yeah, that was bad. I looked at the area records, we were near 80 4 days in a row in early March!! We 'only' got 6 inches here on 9th, but it was all gone next day as you said. Looks like we are about same age, I'm a '64er as the name says. 

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Fell asleep before the start of the 4th quarter last night.  SMH.  Looks like I missed a great one.  I hate EST.  Hell, I hate the entire East Coast.  Terrible winters, endless heat and humidity, light pollution, and primetime games that last past midnight.

Son said 30+ on ground yesterday with 15-30 in forecast thru tomorrow. AND you gain two hours on those late games........sounds like a place for you (and me eventually, am searching)

14 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was actually able to make a tiny rink in our backyard using some 4x4s and a tarp.  Froze enough to tenuously walk on by Sunday, but was really rock hard by Monday.  Little one is too small to appreciate it, but we should be able to recreate it in most years.

That sounds cool. I'm thinking of constructing a snow making machine and creating a snow tubing run in my yard someday. 

11 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I was actually able to make a tiny rink in our backyard using some 4x4s and a tarp.  Froze enough to tenuously walk on by Sunday, but was really rock hard by Monday.  Little one is too small to appreciate it, but we should be able to recreate it in most years.

I did that when my son was 3, built a 12x12 rink same way. He used it two years then 'graduated' to the big ice and played youth hockey until he was 17.  

11 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

That sounds cool. I'm thinking of constructing a snow making machine and creating a snow tubing run in my yard someday. 

Hahaha! Ya'll are dragging me down memory lane this morning. :)

Did that also when son was 8/9. It was the neighborhood 'hit', even made it into the local paper one year. Son learned to snowboard in the yard, learned how to make snow and the conditions needed to make it work, then HE took over at age 12! Then he started building his own stuff, snow guns and snow fans. Made for one heck of a water and electric bill with two air compressors and two or three guns/fans running 24/7 for days on end when it was cold enough haha. I'd come home from 3-11 shifts and the yard looked like a small resort, lights hanging in the trees, snow blowing around, rails and quarter pipes (Yes, he made enough snow to build a 10 foot long 6 foot tall 'wall' with plywood as a backing) and 3-7 young teenagers running amok haha! Good times. One year between the natural and what he made we had snow on the ground until first week of May, I was mowing around it lol. Course, once the license was in his hands he lived at 'Shoe and the 'yard' became less of a priority, but he still made snow every year he lived here. Now he lives in Summit county Colorado still doing what he loves, boarding and snow.

29 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Hahaha! Ya'll are dragging me down memory lane this morning. :)

Did that also when son was 8/9. It was the neighborhood 'hit', even made it into the local paper one year. Son learned to snowboard in the yard, learned how to make snow and the conditions needed to make it work, then HE took over at age 12! Then he started building his own stuff, snow guns and snow fans. Made for one heck of a water and electric bill with two air compressors and two or three guns/fans running 24/7 for days on end when it was cold enough haha. I'd come home from 3-11 shifts and the yard looked like a small resort, lights hanging in the trees, snow blowing around, rails and quarter pipes (Yes, he made enough snow to build a 10 foot long 6 foot tall 'wall' with plywood as a backing) and 3-7 young teenagers running amok haha! Good times. One year between the natural and what he made we had snow on the ground until first week of May, I was mowing around it lol. Course, once the license was in his hands he lived at 'Shoe and the 'yard' became less of a priority, but he still made snow every year he lived here. Now he lives in Summit county Colorado still doing what he loves, boarding and snow.

That is awesome.  Love it.:lol:

Archived