Weathernoob335
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From OPM's website:

Note:
Inauguration Day, January 20, 2017, falls on a Friday. An employee who works in the District of Columbia, Montgomery or Prince George's Counties in Maryland, Arlington or Fairfax Counties in Virginia, or the cities of Alexandria or Fairfax in Virginia, and who is regularly scheduled to perform nonovertime work on Inauguration Day, is entitled to a holiday. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103©.) There is no in-lieu-of holiday for employees who are not regularly scheduled to work on Inauguration Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I thought the gov't is closed for Inauguration?  My clients are all off.  

My client is off, but we work on-site on the soft holidays and I expect that we'll have to either fight our way in or get screwed out of eight hours. Unfortunately, we're limited in our ability to telework due to sensitivity.

There's a chance we could go into our office in Mosaic to put the time in on some related stuff, but I haven't heard anything on that yet.

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Trying to get around the city would be a disaster. More than it already is in the morning. 

:lmao: works for the wife?

It's a city holiday I think, but I've heard talk of votes happening on the Hill on Inauguration Day. We'd have to sleep in our offices to staff the next day lol. 

I'd been wondering about that. Any word on where you stand in terms of the job?

13 hours ago, mappy said:

I've been stuck in a house with my kid for four days. At doctors with her now. Send help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry hope you all get better soon.  It really sucks.  My family has been passing around bugs the whole holiday season one after another culminating with my son coming down with the flu, little guy scared the crap out of me when his fever spiked to almost 105. He is finally getting better but now I've come down with the flu and pneumonia. Between the 3 of us we haven't been healthy in 2 months. Definitely hurts morale.  On the up side I guess I'll have plenty of time to track now. Hopefully there is something to track. 

14 hours ago, mattie g said:

Yesterday, I finally got around to brewing for the first time since October. Brown ale that should end up right around 6% that will be my first ever kegged beer. Can't wait to get it on gas and into the kegerator!

Nice. Let me know what you think of kegging vs bottling. 

The oyster stout that we brewed was awesome. We went through that keg and the keg of oak bourbon pumpkin at our Christmas party so I need to get brewing myself.

7 hours ago, Ji said:

Smh....its like going to the gym after the holidays and see all these new people

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, stormtracker said:

lol, that's a pretty good analogy.   That PaEasternwx dude is the guy who is hogging up the butterfly machine and has no clue what he's doing.

This coming from two guys who only show up from December 1 to March 15.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice. Let me know what you think of kegging vs bottling. 

The oyster stout that we brewed was awesome. We went through that keg and the keg of oak bourbon pumpkin at our Christmas party so I need to get brewing myself.

Will do. I'm no fan of bottling, even if my process is pretty solid. I'm just excited to get the kegs rolling. Funny thing is that after going through a ton to find a fridge that seemed right for a kegerator (which still isn't built, by the way), a neighbor (who only recently started brewing) bought a 7 cu ft collared keezer just so he could scavenge the kegs, lines, taps, etc. So now I have a free keezer available to me after all that time! :lol: I may just take him up on his offer and put the fridge back on craigslist!

In any case, with no keezer/kegerator yet, I'll just put the beer on gas and let it ride until I've got things set up.

Glad to hear your beers were a hit! An oyster stout sounds pretty phenomenal, if it's got a slight brininess that I'm thinking of. Do you use the whole oyster, or just the shell? And anything bourbon-oaked *has* to be good!

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Will do. I'm no fan of bottling, even if my process is pretty solid. I'm just excited to get the kegs rolling. Funny thing is that after going through a ton to find a fridge that seemed right for a kegerator (which still isn't built, by the way), a neighbor (who only recently started brewing) bought a 7 cu ft collared keezer just so he could scavenge the kegs, lines, taps, etc. So now I have a free keezer available to me after all that time! :lol: I may just take him up on his offer and put the fridge back on craigslist!

In any case, with no keezer/kegerator yet, I'll just put the beer on gas and let it ride until I've got things set up.

Glad to hear your beers were a hit! An oyster stout sounds pretty phenomenal, if it's got a slight brininess that I'm thinking of. Do you use the whole oyster, or just the shell? And anything bourbon-oaked *has* to be good!

I used a 12 oz container of freshed shucked Chincoteague oysters and the brine.  I bought it at Giant and just dumped the whole container in the boil.  I'll send you the recipe that I used when I have time later today.

Regarding the kegerator, I used to have a great setup with an old fridge but it finally gave out.  I've bought a freezer and I'm going to convert it to a keezer when I have more time this spring.  In the meantime, I just store my kegged beer in the garage refrigerator.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I used a 12 oz container of freshed shucked Chincoteague oysters and the brine.  I bought it at Giant and just dumped the whole container in the boil.  I'll send you the recipe that I used when I have time later today.

Regarding the kegerator, I used to have a great setup with an old fridge but it finally gave out.  I've bought a freezer and I'm going to convert it to a keezer when I have more time this spring.  In the meantime, I just store my kegged beer in the garage refrigerator.

That's wild. I don't know if I could "waste" good oysters like that, though. :lol:

Nice. Good luck getting a keezer set up. I have literally everything I need - I just need to get the time to put it together. 20 lb CO2 tank is also crying out to be released!

Speaking of oaked...I'm planning on brewing a Russian Imperial Stout this Sunday. It's going to be a damn bit chilly, but I really want to get this one done so I can age it in preparation for next winter. If everything goes at least close to plan, it should end up a little shy of 11% with a FG of around 1.035 to make it nice and thick. I'll add a Knob Creek-soaked oak spiral and two vodka-soaked vanilla beans to secondary for about six weeks, then let it age in bottles, to be cracked next Thanksgiving/Christmas. :beer::drunk:

Archived