joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided not to pay any attention to the Friday storm threat until after Christmas and now as I check into it at last, it looks like it’s gone!  No snow for me this year as I fly back to snowless hell on January 1st. :(

At least I saw fake snow while I was skiing today.

Maybe the 1/1 storm can happen and cancel my flight out of Charlotte.

7 hours ago, superjames1992 said:

I decided not to pay any attention to the Friday storm threat until after Christmas and now as I check into it at last, it looks like it’s gone!  No snow for me this year as I fly back to snowless hell on January 1st. :(

At least I saw fake snow while I was skiing today.

Maybe the 1/1 storm can happen and cancel my flight out of Charlotte.

Good to hear from you again James!!  You may still squeak out a flake or two here in the Triad before you leave......as I look at the radar this morning in disbelief as the precip moves directly offshore.  On to NYE!

4 hours ago, FLweather said:

So I get warned and my post deleted. Explain to me how I was taking it off topic? Someone must be butt hurt cause it isn't show freezing rain or sleet for their backyard.  Hope y'all enjoy your cold rain. 

The only butthurt around here is you. Keep the crap out of the discussion thread before you find yourself on the outside looking in. The choice is yours.....choose wisely  

5 minutes ago, Steven_1974 said:

Anyone else getting spyware attempting to open up when clicking on links to browse threads? This has been happening on multiple computers. Thankfully my virus protection and a filter we have at work have both stopped it before it could load.

Yes it's happening alot with me also

11 minutes ago, Steven_1974 said:

Anyone else getting spyware attempting to open up when clicking on links to browse threads? This has been happening on multiple computers. Thankfully my virus protection and a filter we have at work have both stopped it before it could load.

5 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

Yes it's happening alot with me also

Just now, frazdaddy said:

same here

Wow is working on a fix  :(   I'm sorry for all the trouble  :(  

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Wow is working on a fix  :(   I'm sorry for all the trouble  :(  

Thanks for the update! I work in IT so I know how troublesome these things can be. Seems to be embedded in the code for the site somewhere since our filter here at work ( to prevent hijacked ads) blocks ads all together.

5 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Good to hear from you again James!!  You may still squeak out a flake or two here in the Triad before you leave......as I look at the radar this morning in disbelief as the precip moves directly offshore.  On to NYE!

You, too!  I’m not on here as much anymore since I find the weather generally pretty boring in my neck of the woods now that I’m down here.  The winter is meh and the summer is just hot with pop up thunderstorms, with the occasional tropical threat, which interests me but also isn’t something I want to see IMBY.  I missed out on that great early January snowstorm in GSO last year.:(

Tom Skilling weather man in Chicago posted this on his Facebook account. Thought it was a good read.

“It was a brutally cold morning with wind chills as low as 21-below at O'Hare, where the official min temp bottomed out at 4-below; it was 2-below at Midway. Check out these other Chicago area lows:
-14 Sugar Grove
-14 Paxton
-13 Paw Paw
-13 Shabbona
-12 McHenry
-12 Rochelle
-11 Morris
-11 Dwight
-10 DeKalb
-10Pontiac
-10 Kankakee
-10 Barrington
-10 Marseilles
-9 Rensselaer, IN
-8 Rockford
-8 West Chicago
-8 Wilmington
-8 Lisle (Morton Arboretum)
-8 Mundelein
-7 Aurora
-6 Joliet
-4 Lansing
Here are temps & wind chills at O'Hare by the hour Wednesday morning:

6am -3 (-19)
7am -3 (-21)
8am -3 (-18)
9am -1 (-15)
10am 1 (-10)

I've posted plots I thought you'd find interesting of this morning's low temps for the Chicago area and a wider swath of the nation's mid-section.
Snow cover plays a crucial role is allowing the bitter chill of winter to take hold. It's NO accident that 0-deg or low temps first hit hit with the arrival of the season's first cover of snow. Saturday's snow system laid down the snowpack which is the track over which the arctic express.”b1ee564fa45a40d21c5e8b68187f134a.jpg

3 minutes ago, JoshM said:

Well... the writing on the wall seems clear. 5-7 days out good storm, then suppression. Rinse, lather repeat.

I'm not so sure the writing is on the wall for the January 3rd time frame.  There is some small amounts of snow on the 0z euro but really close to a lot more.  If the 0z euro went neutral just a little earlier we could of had a lot higher totals.

Just now, rduwx said:

I'm not so sure the writing is on the wall for the January 3rd time frame.  There is some small amounts of snow but really close to a lot more.  If the 0z euro went neutral just a little earlier we could of had a lot higher totals.

I made a mistake, just frustrated. I'm not too big to admit it. I'm not fooling with threads anymore.

Archived