• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

For anyone interested. Yesterday in Amsterdam we had around 2 inches on  the ground. It snowed heavily for around 4 hours and was probably around an inch an hour but due to it hovering around 33/34 as soon as it'd pile up it'd melt. Due to the proximity to the sea it doesn't get extremely cold here. Made for some beautiful scenery though. We're expecting 3-5 inches this afternoon which should make for a fun bike ride home from work. It doesn't snow a lot here so usually things shut down even if an inch or two falls. Here are some pics I took while out for a walk in the park. 

gjovlvw.png

1gcThqs.png

eER2FyZ.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few of my pictures from my trip this weekend. Started in Elizabeth City, drove to Crabtree Valley to look at and then buy a used 1993 Land Cruiser, left there for Roanoke Rapids for lunch, then went up I95 to Richmond and then over I64 to the Premium Outlets in Williamsburg, VA. Left home at 7 am (daughter had drivers Ed and her mother picked her up afterwards) and didn't get home.e until almost 10pm.

This is the Premium Outlets in Williamsburg, VA about 5:30. The flakes were as big as quarters and fifty cents pieces. It snowed for me all the way back to just north of South Mills, NC in northern Camden County on NC HWY 17. I had snow from about 130 in the afternoon until about 930 while on my road trip.

My mother in law just got in the night before from Dublin, Ireland. She hadn't seen snow in almost three years. Wouldn't you know it, but Sunday, Dublin got it's first measurable snowfall in seven years and she wasn't there to see it.

20171211_092612.jpg

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

Seems to be the new norm in the Carolinas that I 85 is the cut off line, south of I 85 you are not going to do well in winter storms, north of it, you are going to do fine. 

You can almost draw I 85 on this map from the folks at GSP NWS

Dec 10 2017 GSP snowfall.JPG

Dec 11 2017 Snowfall satellite.JPG

Look you can see my house in the upstate right where the white line stops 

3 hours ago, Avdave said:

Seems to be the new norm in the Carolinas that I 85 is the cut off line, south of I 85 you are not going to do well in winter storms, north of it, you are going to do fine. 

New norm?

Shoot. I-85 has been the cut off line since the end of the last ice age.

I wish this was the new norm. Otherwise my childhood memories would have been a lot snowier.

5 hours ago, Avdave said:

you can blame me.  When I lived in raleigh and Durham, Charlotte got multiple snows that surpassed ours.  I've moved down to just south of charlotte and we haven't gotten jack squat in 5 years.

20 hours ago, Avdave said:

It does seem that way. The 70's and 80's were good to us in Wake Co.

Mystery of why hot water freezes faster than cold is solved - and it's all down to the strange behaviour of atom bonds

• The Mpemba effect, named after Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba, is the theory that warmer water can freeze faster than colder water
  • Research by Nanyang Technological University in Singapore has revealed the bonds that hold water molecules together cause the effect
  • Scientists have been trying to explain why water behaves in the strange way it does since ancient times

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2483383/Mystery-hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-solved--strange-behaviour-atom-bonds.html

On 12/11/2017 at 1:12 AM, burgertime said:

For anyone interested. Yesterday in Amsterdam we had around 2 inches on  the ground. It snowed heavily for around 4 hours and was probably around an inch an hour but due to it hovering around 33/34 as soon as it'd pile up it'd melt. Due to the proximity to the sea it doesn't get extremely cold here. Made for some beautiful scenery though. We're expecting 3-5 inches this afternoon which should make for a fun bike ride home from work. It doesn't snow a lot here so usually things shut down even if an inch or two falls. Here are some pics I took while out for a walk in the park. 

That's awesome, Burger!  Great to hear from you and glad to hear things are going well.  Merry Christmas to you!

On 12/11/2017 at 11:48 PM, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

New norm?

Shoot. I-85 has been the cut off line since the end of the last ice age.

I wish this was the new norm. Otherwise my childhood memories would have been a lot snowier.

I laughed at this.  Honestly though the truth.  Roxboro NC pretty rocky too.  When I lived in NC I had some big boulders on my property.  Had 1 huge one in the front.  But many moons ago they were pushed there by a glacier. Now it's like you can't buy a first flake. 

12 hours ago, FLweather said:

I laughed at this.  Honestly though the truth.  Roxboro NC pretty rocky too.  When I lived in NC I had some big boulders on my property.  Had 1 huge one in the front.  But many moons ago they were pushed there by a glacier. Now it's like you can't buy a first flake. 

I once read that I-85 was mostly preceded by a trail used by native americans from SC all the way up to VA for trade purposes. Mostly because a trail following that path would be about the same elevation.

Elevation???

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm so stoked! Heading to New Hampshire with my wife in the morning for a week to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. Fortunately, they got over a foot of snow this past week. We have XC skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling planned. Cold weather vacation, here we come!

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Ok fellas, I feel the need to whine just get this off my chest. The maps everyone is posting remind me of just how much I hate that detestable, infernal, satanic, insurmountable, and completely disgusting Southeast Ridge! Why oh why does it have to exist? Year after year we have to watch Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas at the same lattitude have all the freaking fun while we get these crappy, lukewarm, abbreviated leftover fronts that strain to trickle over the mountains and tease us with a Lloyd Christmas shot of marginal cold and a dream of a dusting of slop. And if that isn't hard enough to stomach, the past 15 years or so have seen Alabama, Mississippi, and stinking Louisiana get more cold and snow than us SE people outside the mtns. Yes I could move, but that Is too much dadgum trouble. Is there a worse plight for winter weather lovers anywhere??? Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, that helps a little.

Archived