Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Hey, I was wondering what you've been up too.

Just living the Amsterdam life! Hopefully all is well on the farm. We actually had some snow today but you talk about a bad BL, here in Amsterdam it's the worst! Also you never really get enough precip at one burst to lay down a good layer to melt the ground. It's almost always a mixed bag here of sleet, snow and rain. 

Just now, burgertime said:

Just living the Amsterdam life! Hopefully all is well on the farm. We actually had some snow today but you talk about a bad BL, here in Amsterdam it's the worst! Also you never really get enough precip at one burst to lay down a good layer to melt the ground. It's almost always a mixed bag here of sleet, snow and rain. 

Life"s good on the farm. A Lot has changed since you were there. We've been in remodel mode and every structure has had some work. I finally built my shop and doubled the size of the Koi pond ect... When are you coming back to the States?

Incredibly difficult an torturous day here in the upstate. Half a foot totals coming in form Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina. Maybe we'll get a little tonight and maybe we won't but man this is a tough one. Upstate warm bubble is real and seems to always be present for these systems. I am truly excited for all the others getting it but also very jealous. As a weather weenie it's just hard to be on the outside looking in!

Talk about misleading.  I searched Google for this:

What is the average snowfall in North Carolina?

And got this.

North Carolina averages 5 inches (130 mm) of snow a year. However, this also varies greatly across the state. Along the coast, most areas register less than 2 inches (51 mm) per year while the state capital, Raleigh averages 7.5 inches (190 mm).

2 hours ago, packbacker said:

Raleigh's snow shield still in good working condition to start this winter.  Same ole same ole...

I like how it's able to bend the snow around to it's north and to it's south...we got the deluxe model with the extended warranty.

MRto0hp.png

I literally just said the same thing to a friend about the radar. I'm happy for everyone getting snow today, I truly am. BUT, RDU is so long overdue for a good snow it is disgusting. Hopefully it will happen eventually, and when it does, I don't want to hear a peep of complaints out of any of the I-85 special crew. You can't complain anymore unless you've been literally robbed of two monster snow storms, one of which you were under a WSW for up to a foot.

14 minutes ago, PDUBRDU said:

I literally just said the same thing to a friend about the radar. I'm happy for everyone getting snow today, I truly am. BUT, RDU is so long overdue for a good snow it is disgusting. Hopefully it will happen eventually, and when it does, I don't want to hear a peep of complaints out of any of the I-85 special crew. You can't complain anymore unless you've been literally robbed of two monster snow storms, one of which you were under a WSW for up to a foot.

So far I'm right there with you. I'm about to give up on this one no matter what the radar shows. I'm back to rain and sleet. Every little bit I get melts b/c I'm above freezing and I have maybe a half inch of mess. Meanwhile everyone 30 miles north and 50 mils west is buried. Upstate winter storms suck!

33 minutes ago, PDUBRDU said:

Unbelievable. Year after year it seems. It'll come!

2 hours ago, PDUBRDU said:

Have to just laugh at days like this, driving rain in the mid 30's while Atlanta gets 10" of snow.  I haven't looked at a single model today and it's been nice, I really would rather it just be warm the rest of the way like last winter, just gets old and tracking winter events isn't fun anymore.

Not often you get a weak low down in the gulf that shoots a firehose at you and tracks just off the SE coast.  That's pretty much a text book track for a big winter storm for our area and it's just not anymore.  These don't come up that often, we just missed in Jan 2016, just missed in Jan 2017 and now we miss again this winter, the trifecta.  Do we really believe another one of these is going to happen later on in this winter...odds are it won't for the southeast.  I still hope that we see some snow, my kids would enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Have to just laugh at days like this, driving rain in the mid 30's while Atlanta gets 10" of snow.  I haven't looked at a single model today and it's been nice, I really would rather it just be warm the rest of the way like last winter, just gets old and tracking winter events isn't fun anymore.

Not often you get a weak low down in the gulf that shoots a firehose at you and tracks just off the SE coast.  That's pretty much a text book track for a big winter storm for our area and it's just not anymore.  These don't come up that often, we just missed in Jan 2016, just missed in Jan 2017 and now we miss again this winter, the trifecta.  Do we really believe another one of these is going to happen later on in this winter...odds are it won't for the southeast.  I still hope that we see some snow, my kids would enjoy it.

I hear ya pack. Growing up here ( Raleigh) in the 70s I have fond memories of those snow storms. It just doesn't seem to get that cold for long enough here anymore.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

I remember a time where living south of I85 wasn't a big deal. If you lived anywhere from Greenville to Greenwood, you were always in on the action. We just need a strong CAD event with a bomb out of the gulf. That's the only we we get a blockbuster storm around here anymore. And even then you sometimes have to battle a warm nose and end up getting an inch of freezing rain. It's just tough around here. I am not at all disappointed with this system, though. I saw some sick rates around 2:30 this afternoon. Silver dollar size flakes that I haven't seen around here since the early 2000's. There's a dusting on the ground right now with hopefully another dusting on he back end. It's early December following a crappy winter, so my heart is content at the moment

On December 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM, kvegas-wx said:

99.9% of the time it probably makes sense for you not to report in the SE forum.  But for today you are one of us!!  Thanks for the obs and post.  Happy for your white pre-christmas along the gulf coast!

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words, and I hope you at least got to enjoy something wintry in your neck of the woods! This was a historic event for MBY, second only in accumulation to 12/11/08 and probably my personal favorite of all time. We ended up with 6" on the ground, even after losing at least 2" to warm ground temps and compaction. I loved every minute of it.

Very happy for all the MS, AL, and N GA folks who scored as well. Even the FL panhandle got a piece of the action, which is beyond amazing.  It looks like this was a bit of a disappointment for the Carolinas (at least outside of the mountains), but I'm hopeful the pattern will reload and produce for you guys later in the winter. I know a lot of those areas are due. 

You're absolutely right that (weather-wise) this is a whole different area from the upper SE, so I understand why LA doesn't "belong" anymore. It's just a bit painful to be so close to MS, still part of the SE crew, but technically share a forum with North Dakota and California instead. We have even less in common, LOL. But I totally get that there's a dearth of forum members within much of the interior and Deep South, and from the moderators' and administrators' perspective, it's smart to combine areas with fewer active posters in order to conserve resources. I just can't seem to stop lurking here because the disco is consistently high-quality and it still feels like "home", even if that's more of an emotional distinction than a logical one. :-) I would love to think that there would eventually be enough interest and participation to support a Gulf Coast forum, since that would probably be a more fitting place for a lot of us who are currently on the fringe of the SE or Western States forums. Maybe someday!

On 12/8/2017 at 4:54 PM, frazdaddy said:

Life"s good on the farm. A Lot has changed since you were there. We've been in remodel mode and every structure has had some work. I finally built my shop and doubled the size of the Koi pond ect... When are you coming back to the States?

Working on a project that may put me back in the states a lot now but looking like April or so. Was down in September for a holiday but my father passed away so spent my time with family.  In April though I was planning a trip out west. I'll shoot you a PM. 

Archived