• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

Who's ready for Halloween? Can't wait to take the kids trick-or-treating tomorrow night. We hit our neighborhood, and then go down Main St with all the old historic homes are. It's awesome trick-or-treating there. I swear, they could use that street as the location for the new Halloween movie coming out next year.

Speaking of Halloween movies, I'm going to watch the original Halloween tonight. I am a huge fan of the original, and the others that followed were okay, not counting the Rob Zombies one. Can't wait for the new one next year since John Carpenter is one of the producers. And if you are a fan and haven't heard this rendition of the Halloween theme by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, you need to listen to it. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/13/557560485/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-somehow-make-halloween-theme-even-creepier

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years back when I lived in Wake Forest we use to love taking the kids trick-or-treating down main street. They still had the ice cream shop open and they would give all the kids a free scoop. Now days with my two youngest we stay in the neighborhood.   

We should have great weather, clear skies with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s (temps in the 50s during trick-or-treating).  

On 10/27/2017 at 9:26 AM, Cold Rain said:

Full cross-posting capabilities restored.  Bring on winter!

I seriously hope we don't get really cold weather anytime soon. 60's and 70's would be great right through Jan and Feb. Anything colder than that would just make things worse for me. Still dealing with the same issue I had when Irma was here and things are worse than ever because of it.

Yeah, like every other big time program doesn't put athletes in easy classes to stay eligible. I'm sure they all take the hardest classes possible.

The difference is that other programs don't have definitive email proof that people were given grades to stay eligible. I mean did you see the Rosa Parks paper? Did you see all of the emails? It is egregious for you to say that about other programs with no evidence.  You punish based on evidence, and it's obvious the UNCAA didn't want to disrupt the money flow going through UNC basketball. It is crooked and wrong and all of the fans saying this and dismissing it are turning a blind eye to a bigger problem. 

4 hours ago, StormyClearweather said:

This is probably slightly dramatic, but I can't help but wonder if snow in this area will become anything more than a rare occurrence for my grand kids.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/climate/us-climate-report.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Having said that, it's already gotten pretty rare.

Snap1.png

The article states that it will be "hotter days and nights, particularly in urban and densely populated areas." This is not because of greenhouse gases, it's because of the urban heat island. We could knock co2 back to 1800 levels and it would still get hot(er) in the urban areas. Lots of concrete, black top roads, and black top roofs.

**I work in Raleigh. As I drive home each afternoon I see up to a 8 degree drop from my work to my house (north of Falls Lake).  

This got my attention when it came out last spring.

To find a month when the global average temperature over the land and oceans was below average, you have to go all the way back to December 1984, according to the latest monthly analysis from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Including April 2017, that makes it 388 straight months in which the global temperature has been warmer than the 20th century average.

Like NASA’s independent analysis released earlier this week, NOAA finds that last month was the second warmest April in records dating back to 1880.

The odds of the bolded occurring are astronomical.

On 11/7/2017 at 0:17 AM, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

The clocks turned back an hour over the weekend.

College Basketball starts this Friday.

RAH predicts low of 32 for my backyard this Friday night.

And the leaves are FINALLY changing.

Life is good.

The leaves in my yard have been falling for the last month. It looks like the trees threw up in my yard now with all the leaves on the ground. 

9 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

The Legend was just on ESPN 30 for 30.

Grew up watching wrasteling in its hey day 70s,80s,90s and The Nature Boy was the main reason. What an entertainer. He will always be the godfather of smack talking. 

Flair was the reason I started watching wrestling when I was a kid in the 80s. The 80s and 90s were the best times for wrestling. Flair has always been my favorite. The 30 for 30 last night was amazing. 

So I have 44 degrees at RDU this morning.  Suppose this was January and the pattern was the same but I had temps of 30-32 or so.  Maybe the result of a bit stronger high but system/flow placements all the same. Would I be receiving snow or is this CAA/CAD just too shallow?  I guess this is an 850s question??

3 hours ago, CaryWx said:

So I have 44 degrees at RDU this morning.  Suppose this was January and the pattern was the same but I had temps of 30-32 or so.  Maybe the result of a bit stronger high but system/flow placements all the same. Would I be receiving snow or is this CAA/CAD just too shallow?  I guess this is an 850s question??

It really depends on a number of factors. Is your column sufficiently isothermal throughout? Are you saturated at the key levels for snow growth dendrites? Is there WAA at any of those levels to bring it above freezing? If there is a warm level, how deep is it? That is the difference between ZR and IP. That's why it's so easy to miss on a snow forecast here, there's so many things that can go wrong. 

4 hours ago, CaryWx said:

If you live at Cas de Cold Rain, or Casa de Mack, the 850 layer would be just deep enough for IP or ZR, with an occasional mangled flake! :(

6 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

It really depends on a number of factors. Is your column sufficiently isothermal throughout? Are you saturated at the key levels for snow growth dendrites? Is there WAA at any of those levels to bring it above freezing? If there is a warm level, how deep is it? That is the difference between ZR and IP. That's why it's so easy to miss on a snow forecast here, there's so many things that can go wrong. 

Yeah, sleet and ZR at lower 20s, is no Bueno!

9 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Not a hunter but love to watch the deer on my property.  Any rationale as to why we are seeing more bucks this year?  We NEVER see bucks, I mean for years.  Always packs of does.  I bet we have seen at least 3 since the leaves starting dropping.  Just curious if there is a pattern i am missing.

My mom lives one county down from you (in T-ville) and has mentioned there's been more deer on her property than usual this year. She didn't specifically say there were more bucks, although I know for sure there have been bucks spotted among those she's seen. Ya never know--maybe they are out more than usual this year?

I haven't noticed much of a difference here on the Wake/Durham line, but that isn't saying much. Sometimes I think there's just as many deer out here as there are people. :D

8 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

Now you had to go and mention WAA didn't you.  Why didn't you just say 'warm nose' and really rub it in? :(

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

If you live at Cas de Cold Rain, or Casa de Mack, the 850 layer would be just deep enough for IP or ZR, with an occasional mangled flake! :(

Yep...or casa de Cary last January when the weather balloon launch that Friday evening from the NWS in Raleigh showed a  +1 C at 850.  I knew we would whiff on the 'serious' snow after that and be SE of the real goods

Archived