joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I booked flights and lodging in Quebec City for the first week of January. It will be snowy unless something truly historic happens (knock on wood... in Montreal they did not have their first snowfall until after Christmas in 2015).

Kind of hoping it's not colder than average that week, though; the average high of 19F is plenty cold for me. 

Took the family to the state fair Friday. Ate too much overpriced food, rode some rides, and tried to walk around with way too many people. The all you can ride deal for $25 is the best thing going for the fair. I actually think they should reduce the number of food vendors and games so there is more room to walk around and get to the rides. I ended up walking 9 miles there. And the sky flyer/chair lift ride is the scariest thing there. There's one skinny bar keeping you in that thing. I am always scared some little kid is going to slip out of it. The original one they had before had a bigger bar to keep you in the seat.

32 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Took the family to the state fair Friday. Ate too much overpriced food, rode some rides, and tried to walk around with way too many people. The all you can ride deal for $25 is the best thing going for the fair. I actually think they should reduce the number of food vendors and games so there is more room to walk around and get to the rides. I ended up walking 9 miles there. And the sky flyer/chair lift ride is the scariest thing there. There's one skinny bar keeping you in that thing. I am always scared some little kid is going to slip out of it. The original one they had before had a bigger bar to keep you in the seat.

We went last Tuesday.  It wasn't too bad, in terms of being able to walk around.  I think that was probably because we chose one of the least crowded times.  The food is way overpriced, though.  The little line of church restaurants near Dorton Arena is the best food value.  I agree about the $25 wristbands.  Order them early and save some money.  Otherwise, you buy a sheet of tickets for $20 or whatever, and you get to ride like 3 rides.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

We went last Tuesday.  It wasn't too bad, in terms of being able to walk around.  I think that was probably because we chose one of the least crowded times.  The food is way overpriced, though.  The little line of church restaurants near Dorton Arena is the best food value.  I agree about the $25 wristbands.  Order them early and save some money.  Otherwise, you buy a sheet of tickets for $20 or whatever, and you get to ride like 3 rides.

I was there Tuesday as well. We probably walked right past each other...

Definitely spent too much money.

6 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I was there Tuesday as well. We probably walked right past each other...

Definitely spent too much money.

You always spend too much money especially if you have kids lol. This year was great up here in the mountains during the Fair. We had fall weather and the smells of the Fair seemed to amplify in the cooler weather.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

#TURKEYLEG

#FUNNELCAKES

This is out of Grand Forks.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Grand Forks ND
Issued by National Weather Service DULUTH MN
1015 AM CDT Wed Oct 25 2017

MNZ001>005-007-008-013>015-029-030-040-NDZ008-016-027-029-030-039-
049-052-053-271500-
/O.CON.KFGF.WS.A.0003.171026T1500Z-171027T1800Z/
West Polk-Norman-Clay-Kittson-Roseau-West Marshall-East Marshall-
Pennington-Red Lake-East Polk-Wilkin-West Otter Tail-Grant-
Pembina-Eastern Walsh County-Grand Forks-Steele-Traill-Cass-
Ransom-Sargent-Richland-
Including the cities of Crookston, East Grand Forks, Ada,
Twin Valley, Halstad, Moorhead, Hallock, Karlstad, Lancaster,
Roseau, Warroad, Greenbush, Warren, Stephen, Argyle, Newfolden,
Middle River, Grygla, Thief River Falls, Red Lake Falls, Fosston,
Fertile, McIntosh, Erskine, Breckenridge, Fergus Falls,
Elbow Lake, Hoffman, Ashby, Herman, Barrett, Cavalier, Walhalla,
Drayton, Pembina, Neche, St. Thomas, Grafton, Park River,
Grand Forks, Finley, Hope, Mayville, Hillsboro, Hatton, Portland,
Fargo, Lisbon, Enderlin, Gwinner, Milnor, Forman, Rutland,
and Wahpeton
1015 AM CDT Wed Oct 25 2017

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING
THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions possible. Travel could be very
  difficult to impossible. Damage to trees and power lines is
  possible. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches are
  possible, with localized amounts up to 4 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest Minnesota, west central
  Minnesota, northeast North Dakota and southeast North Dakota.

* WHEN...From Thursday morning through Friday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 60 mph could
  cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant drifting
  of the snow is also possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch for blizzard conditions means there is a
potential for falling and/or blowing snow with strong winds and
extremely poor visibilities. This can lead to whiteout conditions
and make travel very dangerous.

$$

JTS

5 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I am still limited to 5 posts a day. It's been like this for two months. I have no idea who did it, and why it was done. I don't think I did anything to warrant this. I would like a mod or admin to look into this for me. I sent Wow a message about it a while back,  but he still hasn't read it yet. 

I checked:

0 warning points

No restrictions being applied 

It probably has something to do with groups.  It would not allow me to make group changes. I just posted about this in the staff forum. I imagine it will take an administrator to straighten it out.

On 10/25/2017 at 0:26 PM, Brick Tamland said:

I am still limited to 5 posts a day. It's been like this for two months. I have no idea who did it, and why it was done. I don't think I did anything to warrant this. I would like a mod or admin to look into this for me. I sent Wow a message about it a while back,  but he still hasn't read it yet. 

An admin has looked at it.  He could find no reason why you are five posted either. Not sure what to tell you.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:01 PM, downeastnc said:

Really not that surprised they were never gonna hammer a blue blood.....NCAA = spineless when $ is on the line. UNC deserved to be crushed, they cheated, but since they let non students cheat the system as well it allows the NCAA to give them a pass....I was thinking maybe they would hit UNC with something when they put out all those tough memo's listing all the wrong doings etc but then again this is the NCAA and well.....this will basically make the NCAA toothless though as UNC has showed everyone else how to keep players eligible without fearing sanctions. 

Yeah, like every other big time program doesn't put athletes in easy classes to stay eligible. I'm sure they all take the hardest classes possible.

Archived