Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

I know a guy who's got some pre emergeant!? :)

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Ha!  I didn't know Pack left any on the shelves.

My summer grass will soon just be called grass.  My bermuda is as green as it was back in July.  That's one positive too all this, won't have to worry about my bermuda turning brown anytime soon.

Sick of the min lows being in the 70's...we should be touching the 40's by now...hopefully by January we will see that.

Looking on the positive side, we're breaking records:

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
As of 305 PM Monday...

Abundant low level moisture will persist through tonight, with a
moist flow from the S and SSW. Mechanisms to force ascent are
lacking, with the weak post-Nate subsidence still suppressing lift
despite MLCAPE of 500-1000 J/kg, most of which appears to be
elevated. As such, any showers across central NC this afternoon have
been few and far between. The deep layer wind field over the area
is, and should remain, very weak, so the risk of deep sustained
convection appears to be very small. That said, models do depict a
subtle mid level perturbation translating from AL/GA to the NE
through western and central NC through this evening, and this
feature could instigate a more substantial area of showers this
evening and into the overnight hours, particularly over the W and NW
CWA. Given such a moist column (PW > 200% of normal) and the
potential for minor forcing influences to prompt shower development,
confidence in the details is lower than usual. This includes QPF,
which should be low across the board, although isolated pockets of
higher totals are possible. Will maintain high chances for showers,
along with an isolated storm or two, areawide through tonight. Based
on this morning`s mild lows, have leaned toward
persistence and
bumped up lows tonight to 73-77. This will threaten record high
minimums (see
climate section below)
. We`re also likely to see areas
of fog and stratus overnight, and if the fog ends up dominating over
the stratus, a dense fog advisory may be needed for portions of
central NC tonight. -GIH

.CLIMATE...
Record high minimums for October 10:
RDU: 68 (set in 1959)
GSO: 67 (set in 1913)
FAY: 72 (set in 1959)

27 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

When we get into Winter...does anyone ever start storm-level sub forums? New to this area from DC...so I’m used to the MA forum. SE forum covers way more real estate correct? 

Yep. For specific storms, we will start individual threads as the event draws closer and/or model consensus increases.

If you like winter storms, you may want to strongly consider moving back to DC. Immediately.

Or you can stay here, and become a very cynical and bitter person within the next 3 years, due to almost always having the warm nose overcome everything. Which is completely fine. (misery loves company)

42 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

When we get into Winter...does anyone ever start storm-level sub forums? New to this area from DC...so I’m used to the MA forum. SE forum covers way more real estate correct? 

WElcome to the SE.  You will get a kick as long as you have a great sense of humor here in this region. I too, just moved down in June 2016 from Loudoun Couty, VA and the first winter was pretty funny. We had a 3/4" snowfall for the season and a few days of below freezing temps. Otherwise expect 40 and rain most of the time. You will do a little better in W-S area at least. Welcome

7 hours ago, CARDC79 said:

The thing that will drive you mad about this area is that we can get the "big storm". Or we can go a whole season with almost nothing. Because we can get the big storm, we're all drawn in every winter with dreams of repeats of storms past. In which we've had two foot snows, 8" of sleet (...get use to sleet), and 1.5" ice storms.

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climate/winter_wx/database.php?location_county=&StartYear=1969&StartMonth=01&StartDay=1&EndYear=2015&EndMonth=08&EndDay=1&Submit=Submit&page=1

http://www.weather.gov/rah/events

8 hours ago, CARDC79 said:

Welcome! Depending on your exact location you can also experience the bloody cutting edge (rain/sleet/snow line) set-up in these parts and not knowing exactly where that will happen until H-hour sometimes.  Enough to drive a man mad indeed.

1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

Welcome! Depending on your exact location you can also experience the bloody cutting edge (rain/sleet/snow line) set-up in these parts and not knowing exactly where that will happen until H-hour sometimes.  Enough to drive a man mad indeed.

Yeah, ask cold rain and me about being on the wrong side of the snow/slop line, it sucks!

26 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

At a loss for words today! Unbelivable

Really not that surprised they were never gonna hammer a blue blood.....NCAA = spineless when $ is on the line. UNC deserved to be crushed, they cheated, but since they let non students cheat the system as well it allows the NCAA to give them a pass....I was thinking maybe they would hit UNC with something when they put out all those tough memo's listing all the wrong doings etc but then again this is the NCAA and well.....this will basically make the NCAA toothless though as UNC has showed everyone else how to keep players eligible without fearing sanctions. 

5 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Really not that surprised they were never gonna hammer a blue blood.....NCAA = spineless when $ is on the line. UNC deserved to be crushed, they cheated, but since they let non students cheat the system as well it allows the NCAA to give them a pass....I was thinking maybe they would hit UNC with something when they put out all those tough memo's listing all the wrong doings etc but then again this is the NCAA and well.....this will basically make the NCAA toothless though as UNC has showed everyone else how to keep players eligible without fearing sanctions. 

Well, they balanced it out.  They announced today that the NC State freshman point guard has to sit down for a year for actually going to a legit class.  It all works out on the end when it comes to the NCAA.

Archived