Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Hello everyone, hope I am welcome here. If not, please let me know and I'll go. 

We are stationed in Tampa. Very worried what Irma will do. Husband on standby to head overseas due to hurricane, leaving me and dog alone. 

Im hoping someone can give me some ballpark info. I'm in contact with my neighbors and we are all waiting for info from military, which never seems to come. All questions seem to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. 

Thank you for any info you can provide. It will really be helpful :) 

Welcome, Bunny.  (I'm moving this to banter.)

jburns gave some good advice.  I would also suggest just following the discussion on this site.  Some very knowledgeable people post here.  Just keep checking back for updates from time to time to see where things stand.  It's still too far in the future to be able to nail down any specifics of landfall or impacts on any small region.

1 hour ago, southernskimmer said:

Ok so I definitely don't want this cane to hit nc/sc from a logical perspectvie.  I don't want it to take out our family beachhouse etc, yet my heart wants it to hit nc/sc. Weather is weird. 

I feel the same way Southernskimmer. We have a beach property in Kitty Hawk but we are going to sell it soon (Not because of the storm) we want someplace closer to us. Yet I want to witness the magnitude of the storm but from here.

In other news, Was in the upstate region of SC and loved Greenville, SC. What a cool city and loved the historic west end and Reedy Falls/Liberty Bridge.  I cant believe how much that area has grown since I was last there in 04-05 timeframe. They have everything there for the most part. Yesterday stopped at Issaqueena Falls/Stumphouse tunnel and went to the top of Sassafrass Mtn, the highest point in SC, Barely as it is a spit away from the NC line. We were going to go to Caesars Head as well but was running out of time

Yeah, you guys can have this one. I'm wrapping up a complete rebuild of our house that's taken 4 years so far to do, and I don't want to have to do it again. I'd almost rather the place be leveled completely than do that and I'd have an insulated concrete form house built instead. At least someone else would be doing the labor for a change and it would only be the architectural part that's on my plate.

South Florida all the way up the coast to here is a horrible place to be right now, not knowing whether this would be an inconvenience, the end of the world, or somewhere in between.

For any new folks tracking for the first time here is the normal process.

On Tuesday, we will know more on Thursday

On Wednesday, we will know more on Friday

On Thursday, we will know more on Saturday

On Friday, we will know more on Sunday

On Saturday, it's nowcasting time!!!!!

On Sunday, well damn, we didn't expect that.

Next

BTW the above also goes to tracking possible snow threats in the SE.

49 minutes ago, jshetley said:

You all may be happy to know that I'm probably going to leave these boards for a while, if not for good. Got some major issues going right now. If I don't make it back it has been nice knowing all of you.

Huh?  Nobody's going to be happy about that.  You balance out all the optimism! :)  All kidding aside, I hope everything will be ok.  And sincerely, I hope you are able to keep posting.

I don't really post that often on here anymore, but I felt I needed to post something regarding some of the other users. I find it really annoying and somewhat irresponsible how some users constantly post about "this storm won't do this" or "I don't see it hitting SC or GA, but I see it hitting NC." And yet, you have nothing to back up your information with, except it being your location. Can we please stop this tomfoolery? For people who come on here for vital information, it's very confusing to them. I am no meteorologist, however I do know enough as to not pay attention to certain users. Other people don't though and that isn't doing anyone good. Having said all that... there are a lot of very insightful users on here who know their stuff. And to those people, thank you so much!   

I also had to come over here and post about the sheer number of blind and uninformed douche bags that are posting in the main thread and making it painful to read.  Mods, I know you are slammed, by why isn't the board in storm mode already and the clamps down?  Seems like the gun is always jumped on winter storms where life and property are rarely threatened.  This is an exponentially more serious event threatening millions of people.  

Archived