Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

On 8/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, Avdave said:

If you want to do a fantasy league, Im in for that.  The one I was in last year is no more and the other one from my old neighborhood Im not doing since we moved out of there

I would be down for doing an 8 man if we could get that many from here. not sure if you can even really do smaller than that anymore.

Also, not sure if there are any railfans,(Is that what they're called?) here, but on my way to Hildebrand today, I saw a coal train with an old Conrail lead engine that hasn't been repainted to the NS black. Very rare sight nowadays.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Yes sir!  Just trying to get through summer.  How bout you?

A CR sighting! Winter fail must be close!? I'm seriously thinking about staring at the whole eclipse and burning my retinas out! So I can't look at models or read pbp's on here this winter! The last few have sucked way too badly! Except for my Mid-March snowpocalypse! :)

If anyone is interested in an NFL pick-em league we have two leagues which members on this board can participate in.  One of the leagues is free and has been an ongoing tradition of Eastern/American Wx for at least 10 years now.  This league is done directly through this forum in the sports thread.  

The second league is entering its third season here on the boards and is a pay-league.  He platform we've used in the past is yahoo, however, a different platform may be used this year.  

If you have any interest in participating in one or both of the leagues check out the following thread.  The more participants, the more fun the league, and for the pay league, the more potential winnings!

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50203-nfl-pick-em-2017-2018/#comment-4596041

14 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

3 days, 22 hrs and 30 minutes until OSU football begins :wub: 

Let's see. Meyer has been there for five years, the same amount of time he was at Florida. Get ready for a fake heart condition so he can leave town before the investigations begin. :)

my banter for this thread is just people in general! LOL  Why can't people figure out that weather forecasting is just a prediction based on current data and future models?  At the end of the day, no one can force weather to do what it is predicted.

A Hurricane experiences significant strengthening that wasn't anticipated. That Hurricane decides to hit 100 miles off the initial target. Hello, we have heard a million times, hurricanes are notorious for doing that. Corpus Christi people are pissed because the weather people blew it for them. They "over prepared". Victoria folks thought they were going to get what Houston is getting now. Houston people thought they were going to be in the clear.

Well guess what? This event teaches that even those outside the cone should always be prepared.  It's not much different than for those of us in the south east and snow. It is tougher than rocket science predicting a snow storm here. Off my soap box and keep praying for Texas and Louisiana.

40 minutes ago, griteater said:

Wrong team was favored

Big time gamecock here grit; we may have won, but you guys are a much better team who just made a few more costly errors. State completely dominated the stats. I am disappointed with our offensive performance, less than 250 yards, and our continued ridiculous defensive coverages and lack of QB pressure. We were VERY fortunate to win here, but it's gonna be a long season if we don't get it together.

South Carolina--Much better than anyone predicted:  Check

State defense--Much less potent than anyone predicted:  Check

State offense--Much more ineffective than anyone predicted:  Check

Kicking game--New highly-touted kicker far shakier than anyone predicted:  Check

Penalties--NC State far less disciplined than anyone predicted due to our "experience ":  Check

Injuries:  Check

Same NC State team, same hype, different year:  Check

37 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:
South Carolina--Much better than anyone predicted:  Check

State defense--Much less potent than anyone predicted:  Check

State offense--Much more ineffective than anyone predicted:  Check

Kicking game--New highly-touted kicker far shakier than anyone predicted:  Check

Penalties--NC State far less disciplined than anyone predicted due to our "experience ":  Check

Injuries:  Check

Same NC State team, same hype, different year:  Check

:lol: Well from my perspective, and based on what we have been hearing its more like this:

South Carolina - Offense not as good as expected, defense as bad as ever with complete lack of receiver coverage and QB pressure- check

State defense solid - check

State offense potent - check

Kicking game: SC - solid, State- suspect - check

Same State team, same SC team - check

Being an SC fan hazardous to your health - check

Guess the NWS thinks the world is coming to a end ariund the RDU area I am in cary. but here is whe forecast they posted for my area.

Detailed Forecast

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 64. South wind 3 to 7 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 88. Light southwest wind increasing to 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
Tuesday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Wednesday
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 7 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Wednesday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before midnight, then a chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 61. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Thursday
A chance of showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 57.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 76.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 59.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 74.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.
Monday

Notice the forecast for next Monday is blank. lol

This should be fun......so I was chatting with my daughter about the hurricane when she said "dad, its over the open ocean lets just drop a hydrogen bomb in there and blow it apart!"  My reaction....."hmmmmmm, let me consult my friends at American WX.  They know everything!"

So for reals, what would it take to "blow up" a hurricane?  Could you disrupt the airflow sufficiently with man made devices?  Obviously you cant ice the ocean, so airflow disruption is really the only shot.  What about cloud seeding?  I'll toss this over to the board to kick around.  After all, you know everything!  :-)

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

This should be fun......so I was chatting with my daughter about the hurricane when she said "dad, its over the open ocean lets just drop a hydrogen bomb in there and blow it apart!"  My reaction....."hmmmmmm, let me consult my friends at American WX.  They know everything!"

So for reals, what would it take to "blow up" a hurricane?  Could you disrupt the airflow sufficiently with man made devices?  Obviously you cant ice the ocean, so airflow disruption is really the only shot.  What about cloud seeding?  I'll toss this over to the board to kick around.  After all, you know everything!  :-)

Well, let's see.  What would happen to a cane if we induced a whole bunch more heat and made it radioactive?  I'm pretty sure the answer is, add a shark or two and you have a SYFY movie.  They tried seeding in the 60s. 

6 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Now that I had my fun the teacher came back.  Help her with this.(I'm not sure how old she is)

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

More at the link.

Archived