Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2017 at 9:22 PM, FallsLake said:

One of my older sons is on his way to Salzburg Austria for a summer study program. I'm actually tracking his flight right now as he crosses New Brunswick Canada. Funny thing is the sun just set at his current location.   

Sweet!! I wish him well on his travels :) 

3 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

Got a new job in Charlotte and will be moving here in the next 2 weeks, excited to join the CLT peeps this winter!  Now watch RDU get a 12"+ storm this year!

Congrats on the new job! :D 

Yesterday I was up in the Arlington National Cemetery for my In-laws funeral there and what a hot and miserable day it was up there. The funeral was at 2 PM. I felt bad for the military men who performed for the funeral. I was very impressed with the whole ceremony. Hardest part, besides the heat, was the 21 gun salute and the playing of Taps. Always chokes me up.

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

The  NCAA is getting ready to drop the hammer on UNC. Finally the hearing is Aug 16 and 17. Should have the punishment , penalty out usually within a few weeks after the hearing. I thought they might skate, but not after reading what just got publicized writen by the NCAA. 

Yeah, it sounds like the NCAA didn't appreciate UNC claiming it was none of their business. 

To the contrary, the NCAA wrote in its response, “When a member institution allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from the general student body, it is the NCAA’s business. ... When a member institution uses ‘special arrangement’ courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes eligible, it is the NCAA’s business.”

35 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

UNC should just take the NCAA to court and get it over with. No way the NCAA would win.

The classes were available to every student, not just athletes. Every school makes special arrangements to try to keep athletes eligible. They get first pick of classes, teachers, etc. 

We are going down hard Brick. Might as well get ready. The fact that some students didn't have to attend class yet still got passing grades will adversely affect your case. I believe as others do that the universities arrogance in the entire matter will force the NCAA to have a heavy hand. The fact that Roy may skate is even more concerning.

5 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

We are going down hard Brick. Might as well get ready. The fact that some students didn't have to attend class yet still got passing grades will adversely affect your case. I believe as others do that the universities arrogance in the entire matter will force the NCAA to have a heavy hand. The fact that Roy may skate is even more concerning.

Yep.  As far as the classes being open to everyone you have to look at the ratio of athletes and regular students.  Fifty percent of the students taking the bogus classes were athletes. Athletes make up four percent of the student body. That defense is not going to stand. Also, the fact it went on for 18 years is the main reason one of the charges is "lack of institutional control". Luckily for UNC, after seeing what happened to SMU and their conference when they were given the death penalty, the NCAA will probably never issue another one.

In any case, it is never a good strategy to tell the person or group that will be judging you to f*ck off.  That is essentially what UNC has done. I was in court one day for a school related situation and watched one of my former students be led into court by his attorney.  I had a lot of dealings with that kid and he was never wrong and always had to get the last word.  Sure enough, when the judge sentenced him to 30 days in the county jail, his response was, "That's bullsh*t".  The judge doubled it to 60 days and got the response, "That's still bull****".  Before his attorney and the bailiff could basically drag him out of the courtroom he was up to a year and a day at the county work farm.  When someone asks me who was the dumbest person I ever taught I relate this story. UNC is right at that level in this case. I think it is going to be ugly.

14 hours ago, jburns said:

Yep.  As far as the classes being open to everyone you have to look at the ratio of athletes and regular students.  Fifty percent of the students taking the bogus classes were athletes. Athletes make up four percent of the student body. That defense is not going to stand. Also, the fact it went on for 18 years is the main reason one of the charges is "lack of institutional control". Luckily for UNC, after seeing what happened to SMU and their conference when they were given the death penalty, the NCAA will probably never issue another one.

In any case, it is never a good strategy to tell the person or group that will be judging you to f*ck off.  That is essentially what UNC has done. I was in court one day for a school related situation and watched one of my former students be led into court by his attorney.  I had a lot of dealings with that kid and he was never wrong and always had to get the last word.  Sure enough, when the judge sentenced him to 30 days in the county jail, his response was, "That's bullsh*t".  The judge doubled it to 60 days and got the response, "That's still bull****".  Before his attorney and the bailiff could basically drag him out of the courtroom he was up to a year and a day at the county work farm.  When someone asks me who was the dumbest person I ever taught I relate this story. UNC is right at that level in this case. I think it is going to be ugly.

Yepp, Bolded is "text book" example. The only way they don't get the death penalty is the NCAA respect/fear of economic impact on the state. A lot of people not connected with the school depend on the income the sports programs provide

11 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Ok, I decided 2 minutes ago I'm going to Greenville, SC for the Shoeless Jam on August 25-26. looking for recommendations on food (while not at the festival) as well as hotels if anyone knows the area well.

I live just south of DT Greenville - as you may know, Greenville has one of the best (smaller) DT's in Southeast - walkable, clean, tons of restaurants, shopping, and Falls Park. If you haven't visited, you may be surprised that this is South Carolina LOL (many of my North Carolina colleagues are envious of Falls Park)

Go to Yelp/Tripadviser for recs - for me, in DT: The Trappe Door, Larkin's, Pomegranate, Lazy Goat, etc, etc; many other (more reasonable) restaurants are outside of DT - I really like Kitchen Sync on Laurens; Pita House (cash only!) is great and has the best falafel I've had anywhere in the country

I believe there are several other Upstate posters on AW

Enjoy the trip

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Do we have any big Whiskey, Scotch, or bourbon fans around here? I have recently gotten into trying out some good liquors for great taste.

I've gotten into bourbon lately and have enjoyed Blade and Bow.  It's hard/impossible to find in NC though.  Weller 12 year is supposedly from the same mash as Pappy 23 year which is supposedly one of the best ever.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.

10 hours ago, SouthWake33 said:

I've gotten into bourbon lately and have enjoyed Blade and Bow.  It's hard/impossible to find in NC though.  Weller 12 year is supposedly from the same mash as Pappy 23 year which is supposedly one of the best ever.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.

I really enjoy Balveni 12 year. It is very smooth.  I also enjoy Grand Marnier cognac. I like the cheaper drambuie also but it has a bite to it. I have heard makers mark has a good taste as well. 

How does this "Always Online" work? I couldn't find a thing today.

" This page (https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/13-southeastern-states/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert "

On 7/31/2017 at 10:28 AM, AsheCounty48 said:

So, I know there's a sports thread on the main forum, but I was wondering if anyone here would want to do a fantasy league? It could be free or a small gamble if you would like.

If you want to do a fantasy league, Im in for that.  The one I was in last year is no more and the other one from my old neighborhood Im not doing since we moved out of there

Archived