Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, the A/C hasn't been turned on in the house yet.  I try to put it off as long as possible since once it goes on, it's easy to get used to and harder to turn it off again until fall.  One year when husband was on the road I made it to August before succumbing and turning it on.  When he's not on the road, then he's working from home a couple of days a week and doesn't do well with the switch between A/C'd office, even chillier data center rooms, and then an open-windows, fan-only house.

Usually opening the windows at night to let the cool air in, then closing them mid-morning, will usually take care of the afternoon heat until late noon.  Unless I'm doing something particularly strenuous, I'm fine until indoors hits the 88+ range.

11 hours ago, SharonA said:

Nope, the A/C hasn't been turned on in the house yet.  I try to put it off as long as possible since once it goes on, it's easy to get used to and harder to turn it off again until fall.  One year when husband was on the road I made it to August before succumbing and turning it on.  When he's not on the road, then he's working from home a couple of days a week and doesn't do well with the switch between A/C'd office, even chillier data center rooms, and then an open-windows, fan-only house.

Usually opening the windows at night to let the cool air in, then closing them mid-morning, will usually take care of the afternoon heat until late noon.  Unless I'm doing something particularly strenuous, I'm fine until indoors hits the 88+ range.

88 inside? Yikes. 76 is my high point and that is where I keep the A/C at.

12 minutes ago, yotaman said:

88 inside? Yikes. 76 is my high point and that is where I keep the A/C at.

It's not that bad if you are acclimated to it and aren't being too active.  But once that A/C is turned on, there goes the acclimation.  I try to keep the A/C at 80 or so once it is turned on.

This is hard on husband, since he works in A/C all day at the office and then drives home in a car with A/C.  It's usually his work-from-home days that results in the A/C going on, and my acclimation dying quickly, before July.

On a totally different topic, well, still sort of spring-related -- I had a broadwinged hawk sighting today. It flew up to the tree just outside the computer room, then pounced on some small lizard, gulp gulp, looked around about 30 seconds, and took off.  I heard it calling several times in the next hour.  It's always a surprise at how little they are, so much smaller than even the redshouldered.

BW breed here, but tend to nest later.  I'll hear the immatures foodcalling as late as August and Labor Day, long after the redshouldered youngsters have moved on.

Perfect spring day, breezy but not blasty, sunny warm but not hot, dry but not dusty-allergy-filled ... so of course I spend it indoors studying Quant Analysis.  *sigh*

But I had the windows open and a clear view of the woods ... and did get outside a bit to water the new plants and repair the tailgate latch on my truck.  It took all sorts of self-discipline to go back inside (reminding myself how much $$$ I'd paid for the class helped, I'm not shelling out that much and settling for a B if I have any choice!)

Need to get the wx station set up so I can report real temps and obs.

48 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I'm now officially a resident of Lady's Island :D  Everything is unpacked and set up, the man child starts school in the morning and I've changed the location in my profile :wub: 

Glad you are finally getting settled.  I hope to see more of you on the board.

On 4/14/2017 at 2:40 PM, yotaman said:

Has anyone turned on their A/C on yet? I try to hold off until may but the temp in the house is starting to crawl upwards these last few days despite the somewhat cooler nights and with temps forecasted in the upper 70's to low 80's next week looks like I may have to turn it on.

Not yet. I usually don't turn mine on until the first of may.

2017 Climate Carnival

It's a Big Tent!

Friday, MAY 12 - Amuse Bouche 7.00-8.30pm
(held at The Plant, 220 Lorax Lane Pittsboro NC)

**Amuse Bouche is our preview of what is to come the next day.
Keeping with tradition, we’ll hold our annual Amuse Bouche the night before the carnival! The evening will feature a speaker panel moderated by WUNC's State of Things Host, Frank Stasio. Greg Fishel of WRAL will be the featured panelists along with others to be announced.

Saturday, MAY 13 - Climate Carnival Noon to 8pm (held at The Plant, 220 Lorax Lane Pittsboro NC)
This year, we're stepping away from the formal conference and partnering with Chatham County to host a vibrant educational faire - a carnival! – where traditional keynote speakers & plenary panels can come alive with artistic expression, hands-on workshops, deep community interaction, live music, and more...
Saturday's carnival will include hands-on activities, short films, education tables, local organization booths, artists and vendors boasting eco-friendly products or services, live music, artistic performances, food vendors, and several speaker sessions throughout the day. The evening will wrap up with an After Party.

Coldrain, JBurns, WeatherNC and myself are in. Anyone else let me know and I will get tickets.

19 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

2017 Climate Carnival

It's a Big Tent!

Keeping with tradition, we’ll hold our annual Amuse Bouche the night before the carnival! The evening will feature a speaker panel moderated by WUNC's State of Things Host, Frank Stasio. Greg Fishel of WRAL will be the featured panelists along with others to be announced.

Saturday, MAY 13 - Climate Carnival Noon to 8pm (held at The Plant, 220 Lorax Lane Pittsboro NC)
This year, we're stepping away from the formal conference and partnering with Chatham County to host a vibrant educational faire - a carnival! – where traditional keynote speakers & plenary panels can come alive with artistic expression, hands-on workshops, deep community interaction, live music, and more...
Saturday's carnival will include hands-on activities, short films, education tables, local organization booths, artists and vendors boasting eco-friendly products or services, live music, artistic performances, food vendors, and several speaker sessions throughout the day. The evening will wrap up with an After Party.

Coldrain, JBurns, WeatherNC and myself are in. Anyone else let me know and I will get tickets.

#NERDS

im not coming unless Shetley is giving a presentation ! :)

8 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

2017 Climate Carnival

It's a Big Tent!

We're interested... How much are the tickets?

I was sad to read that Perry Williams passed away last week. Some of you guys probably remember him from other weather boards we have all been on in the past. He apparently had cancer and passed away in Oregon where he spent his last days with his sister. He was like a weather history book here in Georgia. His knowledge will be missed. Praying for his family.

Greg

9 hours ago, DixieBlizzard said:

I was sad to read that Perry Williams passed away last week. Some of you guys probably remember him from other weather boards we have all been on in the past. He apparently had cancer and passed away in Oregon where he spent his last days with his sister. He was like a weather history book here in Georgia. His knowledge will be missed. Praying for his family.

Greg

He really will be missed :(   

cancer sucks :angry: 

Archived