Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now this will be a traffic jam.

(CNN)An elevated section of northbound Interstate 85, a major north-south artery for the Southeast, collapsed Thursday evening in Atlanta after a massive fire, officials said.

All five lanes of the highway in each direction were blocked and will be closed for the foreseeable future, officials said.
That prospect sent shudders through metro Atlanta commuters, who already contend with heavy traffic. An estimated 250,000 vehicles drive daily through that stretch of I-85, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
The elevated span of highway -- a few miles north of downtown -- collapsed about 7 p.m. as crews battled the fire. No injuries were reported. It's unclear what caused the fire, the Atlanta Fire Department said.

47 minutes ago, jburns said:

(CNN)An elevated section of northbound Interstate 85, a major north-south artery for the Southeast, collapsed Thursday evening in Atlanta after a massive fire, officials said.

All five lanes of the highway in each direction were blocked and will be closed for the foreseeable future, officials said.
That prospect sent shudders through metro Atlanta commuters, who already contend with heavy traffic. An estimated 250,000 vehicles drive daily through that stretch of I-85, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
The elevated span of highway -- a few miles north of downtown -- collapsed about 7 p.m. as crews battled the fire. No injuries were reported. It's unclear what caused the fire, the Atlanta Fire Department said.

Time to depend on MARTA, what could go wrong! :(

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Likely a traffic nightmare for months.  Our infrastructure isn't able to handle losing a major route in and out of the city. 

I live and work on the west side.  Hopefully I won't be very affected. 

IMG_3129.PNG

9 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

Likely a traffic nightmare for months.  Our infrastructure isn't able to handle losing a major route in and out of the city. 

I live and work on the west side.  Hopefully I won't be very affected. 

IMG_3129.PNG

The other side of the bridge is compromised too.  I85 north and south are toast.  

1 minute ago, frazdaddy said:

One of my most vivid memories was a trip to Atlanta for training in the early 80's. Lost on 285 at 85/90 mph just trying to keep up and find my exit. I can't imagine what that pile of cars would look like now.

285 is like a racetrack.  You aren't kidding.  If you don't go 80+ you're going to get run over. 

51 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Yes,  northbound collapsed.  Southbound had the metal damaged by the fire.  

The fire burned hot enough to melt metal.  Amazing. 

Shows how fragile our way of life is when depending on antiquated infrastructure. It will be months before commutes in Atlanta return to some semblance of normalcy. Imagine something like this in DC as well.

4 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Shows how fragile our way of life is when depending on antiquated infrastructure. It will be months before commutes in Atlanta return to some semblance of normalcy. Imagine something like this in DC as well.

Not to get political but this country needs about a trillion dollars in infrastructure improvements. 

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

That's some good news.  Had not heard that yet but makes sense.  Someone started the fire and it burned out of control due to some pvc pipe being stored in the area.  PVC isn't exactly very combustible. 

Those materials include what he first said were PVC pipes but then said they were HDPE -- high-density polyethylene -- pipes.

3 minutes ago, jburns said:

Those materials include what he first said were PVC pipes but then said they were HDPE -- high-density polyethylene -- pipes.

Had to google that one. 

Traffic wasnt too bad today considering.  Spring break next week but I have a feeling most folks stayed away today.  That won't be the case for the entire time to fix.  JMO. 

Archived