Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've spent several years following this forum and appreciate all the work that many of you do. Need some advice: I am looking to purchase an entry level home weather station. Do any of you have any product recommendations? What about advice as far as placement? What considerations should I take in to account in order to get fairly accurate readings? Thanks for your input. 

21 hours ago, Joe Clark said:

I've spent several years following this forum and appreciate all the work that many of you do. Need some advice: I am looking to purchase an entry level home weather station. Do any of you have any product recommendations? What about advice as far as placement? What considerations should I take in to account in order to get fairly accurate readings? Thanks for your input. 

Save your money and just use the PTI reading it won't be far off. If you think you live in another climate zone or something check wunderground and see all the other local stations within 5 miles of you and just pretend its yours. Enjoy your weather its the only weather you got, getting a piece of china plastic won't change it unless you are tampering with the atmosphere and that is illegal at least in Guilford County.

23 hours ago, Joe Clark said:

Click on this here...

Save your money and just use the PTI reading it won't be far off. If you think you live in another climate zone or something check wunderground and see all the other local stations within 5 miles of you and just pretend its yours. Enjoy your weather its the only weather you got, getting a piece of china plastic won't change it unless you are tampering with the atmosphere and that is illegal at least in Guilford County.

Just. Wow.
He didn't ask for your personal philosophical reasoning over why his purchase was wrong.

Now, to the posters question: I have owned a Davis Vantage Vue for several years and have been very happy with the purchase. I would definitely recommend their products.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

Just. Wow.
He didn't ask for your personal philosophical reasoning over why his purchase was wrong.

Now, to the posters question: I have owned a Davis Vantage Vue for several years and have been very happy with the purchase. I would definitely recommend their products.

He said " entry level" lol! I was thinking La Crosse technologies, 20-30$ kind of stuff

14 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Just. Wow.

+1 

20 minutes ago, NCWX said:

Has there ever been a snow event that ended up coating a very large amount of the south east in considerable amounts of snow?  From the coast to the mountains? 

Best examples I can think of for that criteria...

2q0r3vo.gif

1fy82r.gif

2uoq3wn.gif

9axxfb.gif

NC only maps for these storms...

258mm80.png

2i0wuab.jpg

r73lv8.gif

Also Feb 1899: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0434(1988)003<0305%3ATGAOAE>2.0.CO%3B2

18 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

IDK, I thought those were 200-300$? I'm probably wrong though

No, you're not wrong.  That's a rough estimate of the cost, but it's still the entry-level model.  I wasn't even considering the $20 - $30 temperature gauges that you can purchase, but you may have better interpreted his request.

Well, after a break from the last storm I am starting to follow things again. Didn't get as much snow as advertised with the last storm, but it was still a solid storm with sleet and snow, enough to cause problems on the roads for a few days. Kind of frustrating to see all the models in pretty good agreement for at least 6 inches of snow here, though, and it end up being a little too warm. That's why I say the best they can show is a possibility when it comes to winter storms here. How much we actually get is just a guess.

Not sure I will be as active as I used to be because they are cracking down on people using the Internet at work. Been there 14 years and never had a problem getting my work done. Not my fault my brain works differently and I am smart enough to actually get my work done and can read something online at the same time. Funny thing is my manager used to ask me for updates whenever there is a potential winter storm. It's silly how some see using the Internet at work as wasting time worse than others who take smoke breaks all day or walk around and chat all day long.

Anyway, looks like things start get interesting again by the beginning of next week headed to the end of the month. I saw Greg Fishel from WRAL posted on Facebook yesterday about a possible noreaster. I think we'll have another shot at a winter storm here before the end of the month.

Archived