Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

22 hours ago, TiltedStorm said:

In this past storm which models do you guys think deserves the right to be considered more then others in the next storm?
Model winners, losers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say the Euro prevails. It was calling for an I-85 special from the get go. Wasn't really buying there being enough cold air on deck for the areas south of I-85 to cash in. German model handled precip amounts well. This event overperformed from a qpf standpoint. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.  To me this was an icon. I've seen many, many photos of it since I was a little kid.

One of northern California's most iconic and beloved big sequoia trees has sadly been toppled by a storm.

The "tunnel tree," so named for the tunnel that had been carved into its broad base 137 years ago, was located in the Calaveras Big Trees State Park, according to The Los Angeles Times.

"We lost an old friend today," wrote Calaveras County resident Jim Allday, who posted a picture of the tree known as the Pioneer Cabin Tree on his Facebook page Sunday.

According to NBC News, the sequoia's trunk was hollowed out in the 1880s to compete with similar trees in Yosemite National Park.

Back in the day, visitors could drive through the tree, but more recently, it was saved primarily for hikers traversing a 1.5-mile loop.

The trees in the state park are estimated to be more than 1,000 years old, reports the Los Angeles Times.

"This iconic and still living tree — the tunnel tree — enchanted many visitors. The storm was just too much for it," the Calaveras Big Trees Association said on its Facebook page

23 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I'd vote the DWD-Icon, once it got a solution it didn't seem to waiver much...

The NAM, inside of 36-48 hours needs to be considered too. I really thought we had a chance here until it went northwest Thursday night. Once it did, I knew it was over for us, but foolishly kept hoping the GFS would be right.

17 hours ago, jburns said:

Wow.  To me this was an icon. I've seen many, many photos of it since I was a little kid.

One of northern California's most iconic and beloved big sequoia trees has sadly been toppled by a storm.

The "tunnel tree," so named for the tunnel that had been carved into its broad base 137 years ago, was located in the Calaveras Big Trees State Park, according to The Los Angeles Times.

"We lost an old friend today," wrote Calaveras County resident Jim Allday, who posted a picture of the tree known as the Pioneer Cabin Tree on his Facebook page Sunday.

According to NBC News, the sequoia's trunk was hollowed out in the 1880s to compete with similar trees in Yosemite National Park.

Back in the day, visitors could drive through the tree, but more recently, it was saved primarily for hikers traversing a 1.5-mile loop.

The trees in the state park are estimated to be more than 1,000 years old, reports the Los Angeles Times.

"This iconic and still living tree — the tunnel tree — enchanted many visitors. The storm was just too much for it," the Calaveras Big Trees Association said on its Facebook page

I heard about it this morning and was saddened. Instantly remembered the photos of vw's and other cars driving through it. Looked like my little matchbox cars out in the yard next to the trees when i played as a kid. A sad day!

8 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

See, fixed it for you! :lol:

"Crushed clemson won. I can tell you personally the fans are as arrogant and obnoxious guys you'll ever meet - aside from every other school's fans ever in history but we just focus on the one we hate because reasons.

You didn't quite finish your correction.

12 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

Lol at these post.

Glad clemson won. I can tell you personally the coaches are as humble down to earth guys you'll ever meet in their profession.

one of the first interviews i did after moving to Bama was with Dabo when he was just starting in coaching he was an assistant at Pelham when i did their game on the radio...agreed he is a very down to earth nice guy.

29.3 here in Colfax.  Looking at the precip in TN headed this way.  I remember a time about 20 years ago when it had been really cold - temps warmed just above freezing before precip moved in (light zr), but there were many wrecks due to the rain falling on frozen ground/pavement.  I could  see that  happening in the morning if any light precip made it in, even if temps were above freezing. 

TW

59 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

29.3 here in Colfax.  Looking at the precip in TN headed this way.  I remember a time about 20 years ago when it had been really cold - temps warmed just above freezing before precip moved in (light zr), but there were many wrecks due to the rain falling on frozen ground/pavement.  I could  see that  happening in the morning if any light precip made it in, even if temps were above freezing. 

TW

It happens up north fairly often, especially in late winter. The cold in the ground can actually reverses the driver rule that says bridges ice before roadway. 

Archived