SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rduwx said:

I have to say I'm shocked right now.  I really was expecting mixing tonight but did not expect to still be zr at this time. Wow!!

Can't even get ZR here in Wilson, despite WRAL having us "in the pink" for over an hour.  It's completely liquid.

1 minute ago, Bhs1975 said:

Ukmet nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the NAM nailed the profiles.  And even saying that it was a ip profile, not a zr.  I actually should of known better.  I've been around long enough and know the warm nose always over performs.

47 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Fair enough but man that is a disappointment.

I would be concerned about the freezing rain if I were you. I'm just east of Wilson and my car is glazed already pretty good. Temps will drop pretty fast into the mid 20s while the heaviest batch of precip moves through 4-9am as freezing rain. Models show over .50 in zr which would be awful. Here is the HRRR. 

IMG_1792.PNG

I would be increasing the forecast totals for some of western NC looks like some could see 15-20" when all is said and done. Very high ratios with those cold temps, bands of mod-heavy snow this morning, Knoxville, TN reporting blowing snow, upslope about to kick in, and already seeing reports near 10" for Asheville. I'm sure places like Lake Toxaway blew them out of the water.

17 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

How well will the back side bands hold together across central NC? Not getting my hopes up, just curious if it will dry out or give us an inch or so.

Matthew East just tweeted that the band should pivot through most of the area over the next few hours. Hope so cause all I got is about an inch of sleet but I won't complain b/c that is better than what many have

27 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

Matthew East just tweeted that the band should pivot through most of the area over the next few hours. Hope so cause all I got is about an inch of sleet but I won't complain b/c that is better than what many have

Under those now. Small flakes out pently of them! Vis still very low

1 hour ago, Timothy Clyde said:

I would be increasing the forecast totals for some of western NC looks like some could see 15-20" when all is said and done. Very high ratios with those cold temps, bands of mod-heavy snow this morning, Knoxville, TN reporting blowing snow, upslope about to kick in, and already seeing reports near 10" for Asheville. I'm sure places like Lake Toxaway blew them out of the water.

I got 8.5 inches, and still coming down!! Glad you were wrong in telling me not to get my hopes up!!!  Don't mean that in a bad way, just happy I got a good snow. 

8:15 a.m.: "Any precipitation we see later today will be fairly light," said WRAL meteorologist Elizabeth Gardner. "Dry air behind our viewing area will prevent any heavy bands of snow or rain from arriving as the morning continues."

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived