• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Chesta
    Newest Member
    Chesta

Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

HRRR just takes every other model accumulation map and shifts it 50 miles NW. 

Seems like this is a quick hitter too. Maybe 8 hours of snow? 

I was going to ask the same thing. The HRRR moves it in here and it's gone just like that. Don't remember other models showing only 8-10 hours of precip. 

2 minutes ago, philconnors said:

15 miles north of Bham. Radar returns in sight. Ready to see some banding filling back to my NW.

15 Miles west of Bham here...   Watching the same thing you are.  :-)

7 minutes ago, Tanith said:

Ha, someone is a Game of Thrones fan!

The one yesterday was "Winter is Coming" along with the Houses.  It was cute.

FFC has also significantly (in some cases) lowered temps tonight.  I can't believe I'm saying this***, but I don't think those of us northwest of I-85 have much to worry about, we will see some accumulation:

image_full3.png

*** I shouldn't say this, b/c in 2014 we were supposed to get 5" and we got dryslotted and less than .5".  It was a sad day.

54 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, bigtime sleet fest.  Should make for a quite night's sleep.

Where is Jet Stream Rider with his analysis maps to tell us how this thing is bombing out or moving farther south or is colder than forecast!?

Catching up! So far there is nothing to bomb out because there is not a slp in the GoM yet! Latest Hrrr has me in the sleet fest too. Best of luck though. Let us see how it looks when all the components are in place. Maybe midnight?! lol

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

FFC has really increased snowfall totals. Possibly up to 6" of snow even south of I-20 !  4-6" from Carrollton to Dahlonega and points northwest

They decreased totals pretty significantly for areas ITP, E, and SE of the city.

2 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

FFC has really increased snowfall totals. Possibly up to 6" of snow even south of I-20 !  4-6" from Carrollton to Dahlonega and points northwest

Pretty much the band moved abt  50-70 miles west of me

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Yes indeed! Actually says HEAVY snow tonight. Hopefully, this is a good sign for the rest of ATL Metro- especially along I-20.

Heavy Snow Carrolton, GA 1.6.17.JPG

4 minutes ago, MichaelJ said:

18Z RAP went over 9" for W-S and now the 19Z went over 11"

It also shows more than 1.75 qpf for the Triangle. Doesn't matter what winter precip type you get it would be horrible.

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

It also shows more than 1.75 qpf for the Triangle. Doesn't matter what winter precip type you get it would be horrible.

Very true but it does show us staying all snow. If you guys get heavy snow with Ice, you will have huge problems!

What's the outlook for ATL and inside I-285? Based on what I've seen, it doesn't look very promising that we'll get below freezing until late this evening, like 9 or 10pm... :( The radar is drying up a bit also (it's been dry for almost 2 hours, different from what the radar has shown).

Raymond MS (west of Jackson) ASOS says 30F and light rain. Shouldn't the ASOS know that is freezing rain?  Jackson has light sleet.

Meridian Naval Air Station, MS

KNMM 062040Z AUTO 01009KT 10SM UP SCT012 OVC017 00/M03 A3010 RMK AO2 UPB08E15B31FZRAE02SNB02E08 P0000 T00001033 $

Unknown precip (maybe sleet.) Unknown precip began 20:08 ended 20:15 began 20:31. Freezing rain ended 20:02. snow began 20:02, ended 20:08. I guess they've seen it all!

2 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

The radar looks awful west of here. Am I missing something? Is it supposed to fill in later? 

Yes it will.... GSP just sent out a tweet about it too. All this we are getting now is not even the "storm" yet

If this is the wrong thread, I apologize in advance . . .

Light precipitation, appears to be sleet and snow, in Graham / Burlington, NC area. I-40 and NC 49.

I'm headed toward Greensboro.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Amos83 said:

Yes it will.... GSP just sent out a tweet about it too. All this we are getting now is not even the "storm" yet

Yep, this finger of precip was talked about in the Mtn forum a couple days ago.  Not unusual to see it happen before the main storm cranks up. 

3 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

Good find Amos. The icing on the cake here. Enough the get the lower levels set. 

9 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

The radar looks awful west of here. Am I missing something? Is it supposed to fill in later? 

Yes....no bust calls as an event is unfolding...that's one of the board rules  :lmao:   Click on this here...