• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

3 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

The SLP track  exiting the gom off the se coast is the whole key now. Gfs has consistently been off shore through the gom and exiting stage right central florida coast. Hence why its been able to keep everyone colder. It's been on a island imo with the deepest track. Ukie and now every model has SLP tracking lock tight along gulf coast and exiting jax north into atlantic. Interested to see gfs track of SLP here in a few minutes. That track effects everything. 

So true.  everything keys off of that.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, shahroz98 said:

I think CAE and BMX are out of the game at this point, as well as Macon,GA

Really? I thought things were actually trending a little bit better for Birmingham, particularly the south and east areas of town. We were never going to get 6"+ like NC... but 2-3" of sleet/snow seems plausible... 1" seems likely.

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The rock steady RGEM just moved the rain/snow line northwest.  And so will the rock steady GFS and the rock steady CMC and the rock steady European in just a little bit.

That's a bummer...RGEM is probably 50/50 sleet snow for Wake give or take.  And it may not be done shifting north....

The QPF is crazy though...I don't even know how much sleet/snow this is yet but it's alot.   925's were fine and 2m's were just below 30 and the bottom drops off at the end, 850's were close.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.19.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.20.09 PM.png

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

That's a bummer...RGEM is probably 50/50 sleet snow for Wake give or take.  And it may not be done shifting north....

The QPF is crazy though...I don't even know how much sleet/snow this is yet but it's alot.   925's were fine and 2m's were just below 30 and the bottom drops off at the end, 850's were close.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.19.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.20.09 PM.png

Maybe the storm can bomb off ga, carolina coast, go neg and just cool the column from top down. Just don't see sleet mixing in no wider than a 30 mile path if that. It's Snow/ Rain, it's miller A textbook. If your rates are thumping the column will cool top down and hold

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Raleigh had wiggle room at 18z run of RGEM....we don't now with 0z run.  Question is, does it keep ticking NW.  Whoever is just north of that sleet/rain line is going to jack.

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 10.28.00 PM.png

I guess the RGEM on Tropical Tidbits can differentiate between ice and snow. If not, then the RGEM and NAM are vastly different in their snow/ice accumulations in South MS.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived