SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, skbl17 said:

GFS isn't that bad for the south ATL metro (still a decent 2-5"), but I'm not liking the upswing in ice accumulation over the last few GFS runs.

yeah...the area that gets the freezing rain is small but the gfs suggests it's pretty significant..especially the 12z run...with a max of 0.70.  rgem is second, and nam is 3rd but even those show potentially 0.25 to 0.30. quite a wide variety of weather with this one and big differences over short distances. 

zr_acc.us_se.png

6 minutes ago, Lookout said:

yeah...the area that gets the freezing rain is small but the gfs suggests it's pretty significant..especially the 12z run...with a max of 0.70.  rgem is second, and nam is 3rd but even those show potentially 0.25 to 0.30. quite a wide variety of weather with this one and big differences over short distances. 

zr_acc.us_se.png

There is screaming WSW flow 750-850mb, the models always underestimate the warmth from that.  I could see ATL being sleet way longer than expected and also becoming frozen earlier than expected.  The RGME has FZRA in ATL 15-20Z

5 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

GFS just took a hatchet to my QPF.  12z said over .6" while 18z said about .2".  Meanwhile the NAM swings north.   This one is maddening for us on the fringe.

tell me about it. it's been maddening for me too because of temps.  If you are in the atlanta/athens/gainesville triangle consider yourself lucky. 

The tight swath is the only thing that concerns.  It definitely appears the GFS lightened the load for metro Atlanta, but if you cut a bit of that off, it somewhat matches the others.  I think it is safe at this point we aren't going to see a total collapse, but the models are having a hard time picking up on totals.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived