• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Haha true, I guess.  But it's going to have to massively correct pronto, or we're going to see the other guidance continue to step toward it.  The trend has clearly been NW for a while now, though not as extreme as the NAM.

Fortunately the overnight Euro run trended SE. I want to wait to see what the 12Z Euro, GFS, and RGEM do before I start to get worried about this one NAM run. However, I'll have to admit that it is very disconcerting after the recent solid runs of the other models I mentioned.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Peeps...I wouldn't completely fret over the NAM just yet.  Personally I think outside of 24 hours the NAM's value starts to drop off dramatically.  The most important take away from this NAM run is the 500mb trough slightly deeper.  That's it...

The NAM is trying to join the party so give it some time.  :)

Somethings never change huh? Typically the NAM in this range is overamping the heck out of a storm and dropping 48 inches of concrete :lol:. Folks, remember it's called a short range model for a reason. Dig baby dig!

TBH the NAM is about where you want it right now. Axis of precip is to the east...cold enough temps. Looks like it should start falling in line with the GFS soon...just doesn't do enough at 5h to really force everything. I say keep an eye on the SREF later today..the 9z run was a little wetter than the 12z NAM so if it comes in wetter we can all rejoice.

Just now, Cheeznado said:

RGEM is not good, looks like the NAM at 48. Getting a bad feeling about this......

Never fear...just 30 minutes until the GFS hopefully continues this trend...which does not match up with the hi-res short range models which are at the far far limit of their range.

For me looking at the 36+ hour NAM and RGEM is similar to looking at the 5-7 day GFS.

gfs_apcpn_seus_fh114_trend.gif

I'm in Northern VA, so I've been trying to will this storm Northwest for the past few days, but at the same time I'd love for y'all southerners to get a huge snowstorm.  I've enjoyed reading this thread from the beginning.  I'm now hoping you guys get pounded from Atl to Norfolk and DC can get in on a couple inches from the precip shield.  Best of luck!

Just now, MotoWeatherman said:

Never fear...just 30 minutes until the GFS hopefully continues this trend...which does not match up with the hi-res short range models which are at the far far limit of their range.

For me looking at the 36+ hour NAM and RGEM is similar to looking at the 5-7 day GFS.

Yep.  Some times too much resolution can screw up the sfc profile with so many little vorts moving ahead it can't get a consolidated LP in place fast enough.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived