• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

In January 2011, I never forgot Dale Gilbert on the 12pm newscast said there would be only a few flurries in the upstate overnight, "sorry kids" there will be school tomorrow. Woke up the next morning with 9 inches of snow and could hardly open the back door.... Just saying.... Our area had widespread snow of 6-9 inches....

Well, with the DirecTV/Hearst Squabble, I'm not getting WYFF right now. But Mac said he was doing the same thing this morning. That there will be some flurries flying around Friday night, but not much to worry about. Yet, the other two meteorologists at WYFF will be all over this storm. I don't get it.

Sorry for the banter. I'm thinking that the Upstate I-85 North will be 2-4" and the Upstate I-85 South will be 3-6".  "IF" it comes in as all snow, it could be widespread 5-8".

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

New NAM isnt looking good for areas further NW... Starting most off as rain too

Incoming wall of awesomeness approaching CLT, RDU at 39. I would think rates could overcome some of the watmer air nearby if qpf as progged now is that heavy. But yes def better for NW areas.

2 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Incoming wall of awesomeness approaching CLT, RDU at 39. I would think rates could overcome some of the watmer air nearby if qpf as progged now is that heavy. But yes def better for NW areas.

Does look better fore WNC and not too bad for my area and S VA either. It is starting to trend a little slower on the NAM too

NAM at surface is wrong.  It's putting the sfc low way ahead and so it strings it out while the trough is back over AR.  The sfc low should be back over the GOM.  It's probably harping a front piece of energy .. seen the NAM do it plenty before.  So makes sense to see it too warm.

Just now, Wow said:

NAM at surface is wrong.  It's putting the sfc low way ahead and so it strings it out while the trough is back over AR.  The sfc low should be back over the GOM.

This was a excellent trend for the NAM IMO at the 500mb level. So much more phasing with the arctic jet! 

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

One run of the NAM is not a trend. Its just one run. 

Except that it has been a trend. Each run a is a degree or two warmer at the surface and more and more delayed with the cold air. Either it's completely out to lunch, or we're facing a massive BL temp issue that's going to result in half the storm being rain or sleet above freezing for folks Triangle south and east, or possibly even into the Triad.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived