• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

When all is said and done, I think meteorologists, both amatuer and professional will pay more

attention to the NAM when issuing forecasts for winter weather in the Southeast.  Many people

dismiss it and lean on the GFS and Euro but it has won the major model war the past couple

of years when it comes to predicting precipitation types and accumulations within 48 hours.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with a pretty massive ice storm.  NWS officially gave douglasville .25 but it was worse here late last night.  The sounds were super creepy.  Creaking and cracking with the wind.  Lost a few small trees,  plenty of ice still in the trees despite a sunny day.  All in all it was a huge snow bust but still a potent winter storm for this area. 

Well...now that it is all said and done, I am glad I did not jinx most of you. Congrats to the ones that got snow and even sleet. I have enjoyed the ride and hope you all did as well. If you are like me, snow is the only thing I look forward to in the cold winter. Best luck to all of you with the remainder of the winter ! And that's the bottom line!!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, StoneColdWeatherAustin said:

Well...now that it is all said and done, I am glad I did not jinx most of you. Congrats to the ones that got snow and even sleet. I have enjoyed the ride and hope you all did as well. If you are like me, snow is the only thing I look forward to in the cold winter. Best luck to all of you with the remainder of the winter ! And that's the bottom line!!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You're definitely starting the next thread. 

Hey I'm ready for the next snowstorm after the warm up at the end of next week.  I had 7 inches out of this one, far more than was originally forecast, the storm just kept inching NW, even right up til it started snowing here and cold was never a problem.  If I don't see another storm this winter at least this one was great.  only wished it would have snowed all day Saturday so I could watch it, this storm was moving way too fast.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:32 PM, Brick Tamland said:

And look what Huffman said about the NAM and GFS bufkit. Still lots of possibilities for more snow than sleet. But the thing is, either way it's going to be a mess and a big deal, whether it be more snow or a mix of snow and sleet.

How much snow did you get Brick, heard Raleigh was mostly sleet and rain.

Lessons reinforced for this event. 

Cobb county is usually the dividing line between snow and mixed precip.  

My move 15 miles south screwed me over.  Another poster near kennesaw had more snow than I did.  

Im already planting the seed to move to Cherokee county into my wife's head.  We are moving within five years and I'm rallying for a move to the far north metro where snow happens more often than not compared to the ATL metro

38 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

My move 15 miles south screwed me over.  Another poster near kennesaw had more snow than I did.  

Im already planting the seed to move to Cherokee county into my wife's head.  We are moving within five years and I'm rallying for a move to the far north metro where snow happens more often than not compared to the ATL metro

We did decent here about 3 inches or so.   

4 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

lol thats just silly. It's not like Cobb and Cherokee get that much more than you. They may average 1/2" more snow than you ?

I definitely learned the following 2 things from this um, "winter storm"

1) I will not EVER expect another winter storm for central NC unless there is blocking in place.

2) If there is no blocking in place, take the rain/snow line and move it NW about 50-75 miles NO MATTER WHAT THE MODELS SAY, PERIOD.

• jburns unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

lol thats just silly. It's not like Cobb and Cherokee get that much more than you. They may average 1/2" more snow than you ?

Cherokee gets more than Douglas.  A lot more.  The past two stroms in Atlanta have shafted Douglas and given plenty to Cherokee.  Many other cases, troll.

I see GSO reported a storm total of 0.70" of liquid equivalent.  Most of the modeling was spitting out 1"+ on the eve of the storm and the short range models were spitting out totals near 1.5".  As usual with winter storms, it seems, the models overestimated QPF.  Quite expected, but just something to note for future storms.

Archived