Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ST21 said:

Cumming is not getting hammered. At least where I am. We got 30 minutes of great snow, and now it's been sleet with a little snow every now and then

My friend lives between Sugar Hill and Cumming (off route 20) and he has had moderate/heavy snow with only minor mixing since 8 PM. 

6 minutes ago, rawlee said:

WRAL just threw in the hat: "In the immediate Triangle area, there's rain, there's snow, there's sleet, but for most of Wake County (precipitation) is the form of light rain," said WRAL meteorologist Mike Maze. "Farther south, all of it is rain, and I think for the majority of the night, this may end up being rain. It may not be until day break that some of the colder air transitions that into something frozen."

Not was Fish just said live on FB a few minutes ago. He said there could be some big surprises if you are on the right side. He said it'll get into the main part of the system here midnight or so. 

1 minute ago, Gastonwxman said:

Another explosion of precip occurring southwest on the way toward Carolinas!  The precip just keeps on delivering!  You can also see that transition line is now a little further south than it was about a couple of hours ago.

WUNIDS_map.gif

That radar is not correct where I am. That shows snow here but I am getting 100% rain.

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

Speaking of Mike Maze, he just posted on facebook that the northern half of Wake was going to see 6-9" of snow.  They are all over the place.  

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Now it just sounds like they are being vague so they don't sound wrong.

Definitely all over the place. They are showing the same inches too. The 4-6 and 6+ map. Fish seemed giddy tonight. It was odd. I still don't think the warm nose will be over (slightly south of) the rdu airport from what he said. But he said if you can be around that line you may see a nice surprise. 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Fischel just called for 2" of compacted sleet in Raleigh while 9.2" in Roxboro.   Big miss for Raleigh it seems.  At the moment anyway

I just saw this. I am unbelievably confused by the huge differences in each Met on each channel.

3 minutes ago, Regan said:

Definitely all over the place. They are showing the same inches too. The 4-6 and 6+ map. Fish seemed giddy tonight. It was odd. I still don't think the warm nose will be over (slightly south of) the rdu airport from what he said. But he said if you can be around that line you may see a nice surprise. 

You can't get more vague than putting 6+ on a call map.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Haha that's true.  They used to forecast.  Now, they modelcast.

I think that's when they should say: "our best technology is now unable to determine whether you end up with six inches or all rain so you are just going to have to deal with not knowing."

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived