joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

LO damn L! Every model has my house at 9-10", yet it's raining and 36

and has been rain with a few pellets for last 4 hours!! Garbage in ,garbage out

Where is it snowing then?  Good grief, it's got to be snowing somewhere in the SE.

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

It shouldn't be that hard...they just need to report seeing a trace of snow.  We won't get that.  But...we will absolutely destroy them in the cold rain department...:raining:

Well, according to this page, cold rain is a winter weather precipitation type. :yikes:

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climate/winter_wx/Precipitation_types.php

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was the Sanitarium.

4 minutes ago, redteamllc said:

Good luck NC!......it's not happening in Ga.....(ENE of Atl. Anyhow)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I live in Buford as well. It snowed heavily for about 20 minutes and it has been rain ever since. Very disappointing because the Sugar Hill/Cumming area is getting hammered. Missed out by about 10 miles. 

12 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Fishel just said he "doesn't see any way that Raleigh stays all rain."  However, he "can't rule out that all Raleigh gets is a dusting"

Surface temp is dropping fairly rapidly. If Raleigh only gets a dusting of snow/sleet then that would be one hell of an ice storm.

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Brick, It's the models not the Mets!  The models 48hrs ago showed a completely different picture. It was only when the High Res. and SR models came in that we started to see this reality.

Oh, I know. That is what they have to rely on. But now even the NAM was still showing a good hit here. Guess we will see. Just saying that if it doesn't turn out to be much of anything that it really is sad we can't depend on the models more this day and age.

Just now, Brick Tamland said:

Oh, I know. That is what they have to rely on. But now even the NAM was still showing a good hit here. Guess we will see. Just saying that if it doesn't turn out to be much of anything that it really is sad we can't depend on the models more this day and age.

No matter how great technology gets we'll never be able to predict storms like these with great accuracy. Mother nature is beyond all of us. 

4 minutes ago, NYweatherguy said:

I live in Buford as well. It snowed heavily for about 20 minutes and it has been rain ever since. Very disappointing because the Sugar Hill/Cumming area is getting hammered. Missed out by about 10 miles. 

Cumming is not getting hammered. At least where I am. We got 30 minutes of great snow, and now it's been sleet with a little snow every now and then

WRAL just threw in the hat: "In the immediate Triangle area, there's rain, there's snow, there's sleet, but for most of Wake County (precipitation) is the form of light rain," said WRAL meteorologist Mike Maze. "Farther south, all of it is rain, and I think for the majority of the night, this may end up being rain. It may not be until day break that some of the colder air transitions that into something frozen."

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived