joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I hear you Wow....but all I see, like Frosty, is a firehose pointed straight at RDU and Norfolk.  Dont get me wrong, while I would love a good snow I really dont need it.  I'm just making the observation that the heaviest precip modeled earlier today seems to align with the radar presentation at present.  And unless the radar blossoms (word of the day) significantly to the west of me and frosty, we are going to be talking about the B word by midnight.  Time will tell.

Yes the "firehose" as you say is just like the models have been showing for days.....the models also show the precip blossoming over the Triad during the evening hours. Just hold tight and I think you'll be happy!

12 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Seems like the RAP has shifted ever so slight SE. 850 line will still divide the Triangle. QPF is a little lighter with ~1.50 now showing for our area. Definitely still overdone. HRRR not much change from before. Been sleeting here off and on for the last couple of hours. Would love to see that change to snow.

Awesome, thanks!

It's too bad that this stuff falling is a mix. It's rain, snow, and mostly sleet. Coming down pretty heavy. If it were all snow, it would be a very good amount of it. Just thought I would let you guys know that even though the radar shows heavy snow bands, it's actually mostly very large sleet. Almost hail like. 

update on the 00z sounding for rdu.

User Actions
  Follow
5E9J0gw8_bigger.jpegSamuel Roback@Weathermansam77

Sounding coming in now. Solid sub freezing layer until about 850hPa. Maxed out around 1-2C around 800hPa

Samuel Roback Retweeted Samuel Roback

0C isolthermal layer above the melting layer to about 750hPa. Now balloon is in a mixed phase cloud and temp is <0

4 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

update on the 00z sounding for rdu.

User Actions
  Follow
5E9J0gw8_bigger.jpegSamuel Roback@Weathermansam77

Sounding coming in now. Solid sub freezing layer until about 850hPa. Maxed out around 1-2C around 800hPa

Samuel Roback Retweeted Samuel Roback

0C isolthermal layer above the melting layer to about 750hPa. Now balloon is in a mixed phase cloud and temp is <0

Ok, I'm doing my best to learn and I'm getting a little better but could you please put that into weather for dummies form please? 

I'm gonna tell you what, the qpf isn't gonna disappoint.  The radar is amazing. Congrats to all of you who are seeming snow and sleet.  I sincerely mean that.  It's the one thing we all work so hard for.  It's nice to bring it out of the digital universe and into the realm of reality. :)

1 minute ago, snowinnc said:

Ok, I'm doing my best to learn and I'm getting a little better but could you please put that into weather for dummies form please? 

There is a layer about 1000ft above the surface that is above freezing with temperatures at or below freezing elsewhere in the column. The layer is roughly 1000ft thick, meaning the snow will melt as it falls through the layer resulting in sleet or freezing rain at the surface.

Just now, thunderwolf said:

There is a layer about 1000ft above the surface that is above freezing with temperatures at or below freezing elsewhere in the column. The layer is roughly 1000ft thick, meaning the snow will melt as it falls through the layer resulting in sleet or freezing rain at the surface.

So if I'm reading things correctly it means we are stuck with sleet, correct?

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived