• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

12 minutes ago, palmettoweather said:

For those of us in the corner of the Upstate/NE GA, 925 temps look much better right now. That warm nose at 18z has gotten below 0 now at 22z. Let's hope it stays that way.

925mb_sf.jpg

Now that may be the prettiest map I've seen all day. Makes me feel a lo better. Can you check the 850s? Now all we need are some sub-freezing surface temps.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, palmettoweather said:

850s and surface are still above. Not worried about the surface, but the 850s need to come down some so more people in the Upstate get some white stuff.

850mb_sf.jpg

Looks like 0 degree line at 850, is right over downtown Greenville! And awhile back somebody asked which Greenville was talking 5-10", it was Sc

5 minutes ago, gwlee7 said:

If the Low is in the gulf under LA like that, shouldn't it exit Florida between Jacksonville and Daytona?  That puts it right where we want it doesn't it? 

Pretty much yeah. It all depends on how much it strengthens/deepens. This one is not modeled to strengthen much. 4k NAM shows it as a 997 off Hatteras tomorrow afternoon.

nam4km_ref_frzn_seus_23.png

6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Awesome to see that warm bubble gone! I can score snow at 37/38 degrees! I'm slowly dropping 39.3! Wish they would have built I-85, about 10 miles more to the South

Lol!  I totally agree 

Just now, kvegas-wx said:

Nothing about the trajectory of these radar returns has me excited for the triad area west.  Post mortem on this is gonna be fun.  The King may be vindicated after all!

Check the mountain thread.Explains why forming precip doesn't look impressive right now. I thought the same thing. We're still looking great. 

12 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

Very curious to see what will fall under that heavy batch that just entered Georgia north of I-20

That batch will pass just north of me. Radar shows sleet, but I just stepped outside and it looks like rain. KRYY and KMGE are both reporting below freezing. 

13 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

This batch of heavy precip in western AL and eastern MS seems to more robust than the models were showing- that may bode well for later tonight in GA.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 6.00.00 PM.png

Yep, I'm hoping some of that will drop some heavy sleet down here.  I've waiting for years for a good sleet storm :)  There are some heavy showers back there. Just no zr for here, please..they can have that back to the west...I don't mind, lol.  T

16 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

This batch of heavy precip in western AL and eastern MS seems to more robust than the models were showing- that may bode well for later tonight in GA.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 6.00.00 PM.png

Brian Peters is W of Tuscaloosa on ABC 33/40 in Birmingham and it's snowing in that band W off Tuscaloosa. 

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Radar filling in nicely back over GA eastward.  This is going to have plenty of QPF with it.  The the s/w is STILL trending stronger and further south on the RAP.

Looking at the dynamics on the hemisphere water vapor, the entire system looks amazing, expansive and massive. Just getting started.

I'm worried for the upstate. Looks like the 800 to 850mb warm nose will move all the way almost to the southern escarpment at the height of the precip tonight.  I'm thinking the only places that remaining all snow will be from north of pickens to travelers rest to maybe campobello.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived