Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

The Radar is Looking Healthy west of RDU..should reach the Triangle in about 45 mins..2 hours ahead of schedule.  could get an hour or two extra of moderate snow before the main storm gets cranking

Still raining here. Not sure about that.

17 minutes ago, griteater said:

Been thinking all along that this is a 'moderate' level storm Niner, not a big boy....we shall see. 

yeah, I may have had those nice GFS and NAM runs get to my head.  With that said my goal is still 6 inches NW of CLT.  That's within your call I think so it has to be right!

Moderate snow here now. Sleet turned quickly to snow.  Good sign? 

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

yeah, I may have had those nice GFS and NAM runs get to my head.  With that said my goal is still 6 inches NW of CLT.  That's within your call I think so it has to be right!

Moderate snow here now. Sleet turned quickly to snow.  Good sign? 

I'd say seeing flakes during this late aftn timeframe early in the storm is a good sign....but the main thing is that the warming will come in aloft overnight, so that will be the challenge

2 minutes ago, SimeonNC said:

I know GSP says not to be worried about the precip lull but I'm still really concerned, last year's storm was essentially ended prematurely imby due to a dry slot so I'm wary of any and all precip lulls now.

There are never, ever any guarantees, but yall should take a look at that Euro animation I posted....it shows the precip blossoming this evening over GA/SC/NC.  Every model shows that

Just now, FallsLake said:

I think so. We would still get some sleet mixed in so it's accounting for those lower ratios.

I also noticed the RGEM has some blue surrounded by pink over Wake. Most likely just a resolution problem but still looks funny, maybe its just right on the border to flipping to all snow

Just now, griteater said:

There are never, ever any guarantees, but yall should take a look at that Euro animation I posted....it shows the precip blossoming this evening over GA/SC/NC.  Every model shows that

About what page or post number Grit? NWS says I get 4-6   you on board with that or you think more or less? 

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Not sure if composite or base reflectivity is better to use in this situation, but the returns are increasing across NW GA at this very moment on composite reflectivity radar.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=FFC&loop=yes

I know GSP says not to be worried about the precip lull but I'm still really concerned, last year's storm was essentially ended prematurely imby due to a dry slot so I'm wary of any and all precip lulls now.

I would side with the GSP in this situation. If it is a cause for alarm they will note that the AFD or tweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived