Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Well here is the meteo for Raleigh, just NW it may be all snow and just SE may be all sleet.  I feel like if you bisect Wake Co, the NW half will be mostly snow and the SE will be 50/50 mix.  Well atleast I hope I am 50/50 sleet.  Verbatim this is showing 4-6" of snow/sleet.  Pretty much a Jan 96 or 10 gradient.  We don't have HP in the perfect spot, which is what we need for all snow.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 10.25.24 AM.png

It's definitely going to be tough to watch tonight.   I grew up in Fayetteville and I always got so angry because when we got 2 inches of rain Wake County would get 6 inches of snow. I would get stuck going to school when kids in the triangle we're out for a week. I was always jealous of kids that lived in Raleigh but now not so much.   Can't it go just a little more SE, just a tad bit?  25 miles  seriously isn't asking for that much!

The 12z GFS goes with a HKY-GSO-RIC jackpot, with QPF not quite as prolific as the short range models (probably more realistic).  Biggest totals (maybe around a foot) just NW of ORF to the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula.  CLT-proper (as in the airport) looks good, I think, but mixing would definitely be an issue S/E of town, and maybe in town.

Oh, there's also a secondary jackpot in Franklin's neck of the woods in the SW NC mountains.

Just now, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Southern Upslope areas would likely cash in very good as well. 6-7"+ for Southern Jackson, Transylvania and most of Henderson I would assume.

It's more 10-12 off the 12z gfs. It's probably over done but the nam, rgem, sref and now the gfs have over .6 inches in southern macon, jackson, and transylvania counties.

Just now, franklin NCwx said:

It's more 10-12 off the 12z gfs. It's probably over done but the nam, rgem, sref and now the gfs have over .6 inches in southern macon, jackson, and transylvania counties.

I saw what the model said, I'm just going with what I think will be realistic for those areas. 10-12" in the Balsams and atop Mt. Pisgah is very likely.

So the cutoff line had Beaufort County getting around 10 inches now we might not see a dusting. I'm my sure why I get excited about these things. It seems to always show snow for us and then the line moves NW. I was looking forward to it but good luck to everyone. Be safe.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived