Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

It's pretty funny, the maps on the HRRR keep the snow just north of the john belk. You're not too far away. 

Going to be close, just about time to move into nowcasting mode. My confidence on RAP, HRRR, NAM, etc nailing the sleet line within ten miles is about zero. Good to keep in mind for those tossing out the big totals region-wide.

40 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yep, calc I like this setup for your area.  Should be a good looking radar once it gets cranking tonight.  I don't see a lee side drying scenario for this one...we'll see.  I still like a more conservative 3-6 down this way in CLT area as there could very well be some sleet mixing.  Also, I still view this as more of a 'moderate' level storm in central NC.  It's a good one, but we don't have a closing off and strengthening low at 700mb where the flow gets backed strongly to the NW (similar thoughts at 850mb).  Here are the warmest RGEM panels with respect to Charlotte to Raleigh

33jjyif.gif

Warmest panel on RGEM 12z.  High chance IMO of a good dose of sleet in Charlotte and Raleigh areas....better obviously to the NW of town

25hpws5.gif

16 minutes ago, bingcrosbyb said:

9z SREF is in and it has decreased snowfall for Birmingham from 2.15" mean to 1.80" mean. Total QPF is still the same at 0.5" which means it is increasing the amount of ice. It shows all freezing rain/sleet up until 10pm Friday evening before changing to snow on the end. Matches up with earlier sounding showing a large warm layer between 2500 and 8000 feet at BMX.

Bing- Even for the NE side of town???

1 minute ago, sarcean said:

like my odds here in Greensboro

Agree, I like Greensboro area for this one...looking better and better there

Just now, burgertime said:

Whoever is right on that line of sleet/snow is going to really cash in. I was a bit worried about this, seems CLT can never avoid mixing issues. 

I know, climo right

Just now, griteater said:

I know, climo right

At some point though cold air has to win out once. This at least seems more like CLT has a chance vs a lot of times where it was obvious at the last minute the warm nose was going to win out. We shall see. 

This seems scarily close to a Feb 2015 redux for the CLT metro. That under-performed badly for everyone, and the southern parts of the metro were left with a slushy/sleety inch or two.

Very concerning to see the short term models increasing 850s during the storm, while the globals have been crashing temps for many runs in a row.

4 minutes ago, Boknows34 said:

Bing- Even for the NE side of town???

Couple of things. Not buying the ice solution. Goes against climo. Calera is BMX which is 45 mins south. I think N and NW/NE sections of BHM are going to be fine. We are on the NW side of the SLP and we have an arctic frontal boundary with 20-25:1 ratios over N. AL. How do we get ZR?

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

I know, climo right

It looks like it but it seems like anytime Greensboro is in the right area we flip to sleet/Freezing Rain to drop to totals lol  .... But i am looking forward to a change !! 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived