Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Coach McGuirk said:

Just got my Winter Storm Warning.  8-12 inches or bust.

Cjup87S.jpg

Looks like we might be making a run at a top 5 event. Would just have to break 12 for that to happen.

AKQ is even making mention of blizzard conditions on Saturday

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yep, see that now! RAH is screwed now! Y'all remember the DC event he went to a few years back! :(

Same thing in 2000....he was watching flurries and we got crushed downeast......not expecting that this tme but if we get just a little colder than the models show my totals can go up a lot. I'm looking at 6-10 inches within 20 miles of me but i'm on that southern transition zone so the northern part of my county gets 10 while the southern end gets 3

11 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I know its outside its prime use but what did the 06z gfs ensemble show? Yesterdays 18Z ensemble showed nothing but big storms for most of NC and was wondering if it is still holding to its guns

Same.  Actually a bit better for folks on the NW side.  I posted a precip map on the last page.

5 hours ago, burgertime said:

Any worry for you over getting convection robbed by the gulf coast? Hi-res NAM looks like it's firing a lot of thunderstorms. I know it's always like a 50/50 shot with that so probably pointless to even speculate but just curious. I think either way it's look pretty ****ing awesome with all the models now converging into a 3-6 event for most. Good stuff overnight! 

Always a concern. Hopefully the positive tilt orientation to this thing will fight that impact off.

I will also say that I am issuing a 'radar hallucination freak-out watch' for this system. With the orientation of this thing and the way precip should blossom this evening, there will be screams of this missing people to the south by late today.

Snow/Sleet Totals Effective 12pm Friday to 12am Sunday (Final Call)

Atlanta,GA = 2-4
Athens,GA = 1-3
Asheville,NC = 2-4
Greenville,SC = 2-4
Hickory,NC = 4-6
Charlotte,NC = 4-8
Davidson,NC = 4-8
Columbia,SC = Trace-1
Greensboro,NC = 6-10
Raleigh,NC = 6-10
Greenville NC = 4-6
Roanoke Rapids,NC = 8-12 
Richmond,VA = 4-8 
DC = 1-3

Always a concern. Hopefully the positive tilt orientation to this thing will fight that impact off.

I will also say that I am issuing a 'radar hallucination freak-out watch' for this system. With the orientation of this thing and the way precip should blossom this evening, there will be screams of this missing people to the south by late today.

Lol. Thanks for statement. Will we reference it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well unless the 12Z suite comes in really colder, 1-4" (which has been my official call all along on FB) is good for ATL. More way up in far northern burbs. Too bad the GFS got my hopes up occasionally but this is actually (with a couple of notable exceptions) that way it usually plays out here. The key is the dynamic cooling at changeover and rates for just a few hours- could come down pretty heavy just before ending. Congrats the mountains and CLT-RDU-ORF. I may just head up to about Ball Ground a little later today to get in the butter zone.

25 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Snow/Sleet Totals Effective 12pm Friday to 12am Sunday (Final Call)

Atlanta,GA = 2-4
Athens,GA = 1-3
Asheville,NC = 2-4
Greenville,SC = 2-4
Hickory,NC = 4-6
Charlotte,NC = 4-8
Davidson,NC = 4-8
Columbia,SC = Trace-1
Greensboro,NC = 6-10
Raleigh,NC = 6-10
Greenville NC = 4-6
Roanoke Rapids,NC = 8-12