joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Very latest rpm on wyff shows a little precip by 12a heavy snowburdt by 2 pm! Good stuff by 6pm! Looks like all snow after 2pm! Please be right!!!

Turning over to snow that early is a very good sign. I don't think GSP to CLT has to worry much about mixing, but I'm always overly optimistic. My bigger worry would be expecting big totals. Gotta keep an eye on thunderstorms flaring up in the panhandle of Florida and robbing some of the moisture. Hopefully though everyone gets 8 inches or more :)

1 minute ago, burgertime said:

Turning over to snow that early is a very good sign. I don't think GSP to CLT has to worry much about mixing, but I'm always overly optimistic. My bigger worry would be expecting big totals. Gotta keep an eye on thunderstorms flaring up in the panhandle of Florida and robbing some of the moisture. Hopefully though everyone gets 8 inches or more :)

Yeah, was very surprised at this, as its 38 right now! Very light stuff at noon! Then at 2, very heavy blob with dark green and yellows South to Greenwood, but a heavy snow return over most of Greenville Spartanburg conties, then nothing till about 6pm, but keeps it as snow by 6, without starting as rain/mix, like yesterday! Don't know the accuracy of these " in house" models!?

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, was very surprised at this, as its 38 right now! Very light stuff at noon! Then at 2, very heavy blob with dark green and yellows South to Greenwood, but a heavy snow return over most of Greenville Spartanburg conties, then nothing till about 6pm, but keeps it as snow by 6, without starting as rain/mix, like yesterday! Don't know the accuracy of these " in house" models!?

You have a 100% chance of wait and see. Gonna be a constant looking out the window and radar for hours to see what happens :lmao:

3 minutes ago, burgertime said:

You have a 100% chance of wait and see. Gonna be a constant looking out the window and radar for hours to see what happens :lmao:

Yeah, definitely a low productivity day at work! Looks like heavy snow really cranks between 7-8pm tonight! The mix line is very thin and all the way South of Lauren's county, and light snow in CLT by 7:30ish! Will be fun!

36 minutes ago, AbsolutZero said:

What am I? Chopped liver??  

Hehe, TDP is former, long-time met here at FFC so maybe we can take some credit for her.  Anyway, she's written some of the best discussions I've ever read, including this morning's.

Not at all. I just do not live in that forecast area. We do thank you for stopping by this evening!!

5 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Euro, GFS, and GEFS all look great. GFS still not budging.  Even the NAM is a little better. Heck, 5 inches of snow and some sleet would still be a big storm for us. Sometimes you have to walk that line to get the big snow.

You're at the top of the county and I'm in Willow Springs at the bottom of the county.  It will be interesting to see the gradient between us!

Well here east of 95 I've watched this one melt away. The gfs and it's ensembles have been rock steady and crushing us for the last 2 to 3 days. If it's been this wrong then I'll never trust it again.

Mhx did up our accumulations in the latest 430am winter storm warning from 2-5 back up to 3-6 though so now I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the bust

17 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

Here's the latest slideshow briefing from NWS Raleigh.  These are really informative.  Says that snow could start as early as 2-3 pm in the Triad.  I'm a little concerned that school systems should dismiss 2 hours early to get everyone home before 4-5 pm.

Morning briefing

Shows some inconsistency between rah and mhx. The orange zone rah has in their briefing is part of mhx northwestern zones. Mhx has me at 3 to 6 while raleigh has me as rain going to mix with a couple inches later saturday

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived