SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

0z GFS came in very much to my liking I posted earlier this evening before it came out. Believe there will be three main swaths of a Trace to 2"...with potential screw jobs for some. This is the equivalent of a very light passing shower with lots of precip not hitting the ground combined with the main development developing east-south-east of these locals. Some of these areas will not see any snow fall at all if you are not awake extremely early Saturday morning.

*The screw job potential is based on dry air, convection disrupting moisture flow, unfavorable development/movement of precipitation, and other local micro issues around MTNS.

15826255_161581470992228_571889043210096

So there a chance

2 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

South-East Virginia into North-East North Carolina.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_35.png

Someone is going to get crushed based on that radar simulution. You can see the yellow banding feeding into the colder air producing heavy localized snow banding. Kind of reminds me of what hapened with DC last year during their blizzard. A very deep pocket of moisture kept feeding the area with rates of 3+ inches per hour. Would not be surpised to see some locations possibly get 15 inches from this storm in VA .

5 minutes ago, Lookout said:

that actually might be one of the more mind boggling comments i've seen here in a long time...well right behind the person you were responding too

LOL...yeah, I guess so...Should be fun to verify. I'd think about 1" of sleet and .75" of snow for Fayetteville, GA is a realistic expectation here.

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

The ukmet/nam are normally on the NW side of guidance in these setups. Generally the GFS is on the SE side. I'm assuming the EURO will come in tonight and split the middle like usual.

The UK in every run has been more SW to NE oriented with the trough/thermals/precip, whereas the GFS and Euro have been more WSW to ENE oriented.  This would be around .9 liquid in CLT on the UKMet

2mdlxxc.gif

1 minute ago, mckinnonwg said:

Anybody have a quick update on how the cold air is rushing in currently?  Is it ahead of schedule or lagging?

1 minute ago, mckinnonwg said:

Anybody have a quick update on how the cold air is rushing in currently?  Is it ahead of schedule or lagging?

It seems to be behind schedule around GSP and another issue is precip coming in earlier.  

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

UKMet really cuts it close with 850mb temps for CLT to RDU airports.  Looks better from southern foothills to Winston for temp/precip combo

Pushing all in with the RGEM/Euro combo.  Just re-reading some of the past winter storms where we went through this.  As much as I wish the GFS/GEFS was correct it was never the model that got temp profiles correct.  The RGEM/Euro did fairly well at this range (inside 36) and the NAM was always to warm (knock on wood).   

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived