joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Lord have mercy, I'm gonna have a heart attack looking at this!!! Rgem is suppose to be good with thermal profiles right??? BOOM!!!! 18z Image on bottom for comparison...

I_nw_EST_2017010600_031.png

I_nw_EST_2017010518_037.png

Burrell, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the warm nose and resulting snow minimum over the NW upstate that has been showing on just about every model. We have certainly been victimized by it before. Are you concerned about that? If not for that, we could be looking a really nice event. 

15 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Burrell, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the warm nose and resulting snow minimum over the NW upstate that has been showing on just about every model. We have certainly been victimized by it before. Are you concerned about that? If not for that, we could be looking a really nice event. 

I think it's a very good sign that the rgem is basically whipping out that low level warm bubble with no trouble.  It looks like the hi-res Nam is making quick work of it as well.  I think when heavy rates arrive friday night the warm area will be quickly overcome and only cost us maybe an inch of accumulation at most.  It also helps that -850's are going to be in the -3 to -4 range for us(if modeled correctly).  The key will be watching 925mb temps tomorrow afternoon on mesonalaysis. Also, the models seem to have the calm winds and thus warm surface air located a little to our west at the onset friday night. 

The worst spot for the warm bubble appears to be from about commerce, GA to right over Lookout's house. But if the rates are going to be as heavy as the rgem depicts, I think they will cash in too as long as they can stay below freezing at 850mb.

To be honest I am more worried about the 800 to 850mb layers creeping up above zero on us. It always seems like warm advection in these layers goes 10 to 20 miles farther north than models show.

Just now, beanskip said:

So, the 0z GFS gives Clarke County in southeastern Mississippi a smooth 9 inches. If that somehow verified, they'll be talking about it for hundreds of years ....

probably overdone, and what does fall there will likely be mostly ice pellets/frz rain/mix. could still be a nasty ice storm deep into MS/AL though. I really think there will be a band where precip is deep enough and temps are cold enough where there is a big ice pellet or freezing rain event through MS/AL. Places like Laurel/Meridian, MS, Selma/Montgomery/Clanton, AL seem like they may have enough QPF and cold air to have a heck of an ice storm, no?

Just now, sakau2007 said:

probably overdone, and what does fall there will likely be mostly ice pellets/frz rain/mix. could still be a nasty ice storm deep into MS/AL though. I really think there will be a band where precip is deep enough and temps are cold enough where there is a big ice pellet or freezing rain event through MS/AL. Places like Laurel/Meridian, MS, Selma/Montgomery/Clanton, AL seem like they may have enough QPF and cold air to have a heck of an ice storm, no?

Yeah, operative word was "somehow." Still, won't take much to wreak havoc. I was in Destin for the ice storm there that closed every bridge -- not fun.

6 minutes ago, WintersNotComing said:

I think its time for CAE to tap out. It was fun while it lasted... Hope to see a little more moisture once the cold air reaches us but that's not looking to be the case. 

It depends on what part of Richland county you're in. I could see Irmo and Pontiac doing fairly well but down by the end of 77 seeing virtually nothing.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived