SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Wow said:

Not necessarily. Could slow down and allow more HP to build in.

I'd imagine a stronger SW would speed it up right or keep it constant when it comes to speed. Regardless, I don't think a HP would help people closer to the coast in SC/NC once this thing begins to ramp up in the Atlantic if it's too close to them.

1 hour ago, griteater said:

Liquid Equiv amounts....razor tight

2qbexwi.gif

Verbatim that would really stink for those of us NW of 85, but remember, this is just a model run. Precipitation placement is probably the worst modeled of all aspects of a storm, no model knows where precious and banding will be. I'm way more concerned about the stinking warm nose.

49 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Agreed! I think 1-3" is a good call for GSP metro! When local Mets and GSP, are going 3-6", I would be very leery!

Mack, you and Dr. Franklin and I are on the same wavelength. Been thinking about the 2014 and 2015 storms all day. Both trended bigger  the last 48 and had totals rising, but both came in with way more mixing and tougher warm nose. Instead of big snow totals we got a couple inches of slop both times. This has that written all over it. 1-3 W of Greenville, 2-5 East  if we're lucky. 

If there is a warm nose modeled, in most cases in the recent past, it is stronger than the modeled soundings show.   A couple of other things.  There were some posts of the Euro 00z and 12Z and it shifted west a hair and the angle also shifted.  It will be telling to see if we get any more shift or if the GEFS seemingly shifting back a bit shows the end of the NW trend.  And that sharp cut off to the west on most models is killing me.  Got to say I am pulling for the hires NAM.  

Congrats to all on the board too.  You made the NCEP look faster than TT for a while today :lol:

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Anybody see the dreaded warm nose, near GSP? Would we sleet for awhile? I'm worried about ground temps too! Sitting at 47, with thick cloud cover! Only supposed T to get to 39 tonight!

I know mack... that warm nose really concerns me as well. Just got through watching the Nizz on the weather channel they had our accumulation in western upstate down to 2 inches.... Not changing over until around midnight or so. I know some of the moderators on here the last couple of days were thinking (or hoping) that it would not be as stout and might not be that big of an issue.

4 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

I know mack... that warm nose really concerns me as well. Just got through watching the Nizz on the weather channel they had our accumulation in western upstate down to 2 inches.... Not changing over until around midnight or so. I know some of the moderators on here the last couple of days were thinking (or hoping) that it would not be as stout and might not be that big of an issue.

I think we will know a lot more right up till the event tomorrow. When we start watching radar returns and sfc temps.

Is the cold air getting here sooner than forecasted? Nashville is already at 29, Florence, AL (NW corner of the state) is at 34 and Cullman, AL (about 50 miles north of Birmingham) is down to 38. Birmingham is sitting at 47 but the subfreezing temps look like they will invade northern Alabama fairly soon?

Also some light blue returns showing up on radar over northern AL though I don't think there is any ground truth.

4 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

"It's now time!!!!"

edit: might be time for an observation thread.

In the spirit of now time let's make an effort to stay on topic and read before posting.  Up to this point, 1276 posts have been deleted from this thread by your friendly overworked moderators. It would be nice if that would slow down a bit.

3 minutes ago, TiltedStorm said:

I think we will know a lot more right up till the event tomorrow. When we start watching radar returns and sfc temps.

I think it was lookout that said yesterday got to have a NE flow of cold air and not the cold coming up and over the mountains and downsloping that causes the warm air bubble... Lets hope a good stiff NE breeze kicks in tomorrow...

1 minute ago, sakau2007 said:

Is the cold air getting here sooner than forecasted? Nashville is already at 29, Florence, AL (NW corner of the state) is at 34 and Cullman, AL (about 50 miles north of Birmingham) is down to 38. Birmingham is sitting at 47 but the subfreezing temps look like they will invade northern Alabama fairly soon?

Flurries have been reported in Hamilton and Winfield per JP Dice...

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived