SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RevDodd said:

Low is just a tad weaker, perhaps? Enough to make a difference?

high adjusted for the increase in pressure, but it's consolidating closer to the coast. This was about a 20-30mil NW shift. Maybe a compromise between NAM and GFS. All the mesoscale models have a more north solution. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

tell me about it. it's been maddening for me too because of temps.  If you are in the atlanta/athens/gainesville triangle consider yourself lucky. 

Lets just hope that the models are underestimating the temps at this point....such a waist of QPF..

4 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

The tight swath is the only thing that concerns.  It definitely appears the GFS lightened the load for metro Atlanta, but if you cut a bit of that off, it somewhat matches the others.  I think it is safe at this point we aren't going to see a total collapse, but the models are having a hard time picking up on totals.

Yeah the entire storm has a tight cut off when it comes to snowfall totals. You can see the obvious snow axis that runs SW to NE through the cities of Atlanta - Athens - Charlotte - Raleigh when you look at the 18z snowmap. It's so tight....any shifts north or south will screw a lot people. I posted about this "Golden Axis" a couple of days ago. The Axis is tight in Alabama and GA, then slowly expands moving through SC and NC so they have more margin for correction than folks in GA does to get in on this Axis of snow.

This from Elizabeth Gardner at WRAL. (Raleigh)

"There are some indications that temperatures will be warmer as precipitation begins tomorrow. It may begin from Raleigh south as light rain and then transition to a snow/sleet mix before changing over to all snow by Saturday morning. If it does warm that means that snowfall amounts south and east may be lighter than we showed you this morning. Expect more adjustments between now and mid-day tomorrow as the storm system develops."

1 minute ago, calculus1 said:

Anybody else in the Rutherford, Morganton, Hickory, Wilkesboro area worried about the lee side dry slot?  It sure seems to be showing up on map after map, no matter the model.

+1 Im defiantly worried WSW or not. It can very possibly happen. If i get 3in ill honestly be shocked. While all around me jackpots.

9 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Anybody else in the Rutherford, Morganton, Hickory, Wilkesboro area worried about the lee side dry slot?  It sure seems to be showing up on map after map, no matter the model.

It can happen, but the strength of the upper level disturbance should help us east of the mountains. We always have to worry about that dry slot, & unfortunately its not something that is easily forecasted. Personally, I think the area will see around a quarter of an inch of precip, which is 2-4 or 3-6 inches of snow.

Given the strength (or lack there of) of the SLP and proximity to the coast, I am going to call BS (at the moment) on these SN IP ZR transition zones, it is either going to be rain or snow with a slim corridor of mixing.  This fits climo of a Miller A.

I do have a hard time believing the NAM and RGEM are that far off on the thermals for the Coastal Plain, especially with the Euro showing a very sharp gradient along the 95 corridor and east.

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

That's actually really good.  I mean, I fully expect my part of the county to see some pingers, because that's how we roll, but the RGEM is pretty much keeping the R/S line in the same area as previous runs...just eyeballing it, since I don't have the county breakdown.

I think it's a given we mix even with the favorable tracks.  The Atlantic is a furnace....this modeled snow is impressive, it always is.  

31 minutes ago, Lookout said:

tell me about it. it's been maddening for me too because of temps.  If you are in the atlanta/athens/gainesville triangle consider yourself lucky. 

This is a great storm for the upcoming model faceoff since all or them seem to have their quirks with this system.  The GFS is gonna get tarred and feathered if it busts based on 10 or so consistent runs like Cheez said.  That being said, from a selfish perspective I'm really happy with my location since I'm literally pinpointed in the middle between Atlanta, Gainesville and Athens.

Well its been a weird day, with all the NW trend and warm nose talk, but the GFS really wants to give MBY a foot of snow and I just think its got it right ( maybe not a foot lol but its gonna snow good ) its not budging much and that's pretty remarkable.....the para NAM output matching the GFS just reinforces my belief that by this time tomorrow the NAM will have come to its senses and be dropping 20" lollipops on central and eastern NC as it overdoes QPF......6-12" seems reasonable for a lot of central NC and eastern NC north of Hwy 70

3 minutes ago, GlaringSun said:

That dry socket between hours 30 and 36 makes me a bit worried... Hopefully the precip shield will go further north and rise in intensity and the cold air will make it down to metro ATL sooner than later... Maybe someone can comfort me on this? :mellow:

Dentist turned meteorologist..B)

34 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

So how many runs in a row has the GFS looked basically the same? 10? So now do we finally believe it?

Isn't there a meme about consistency being a good thing only if you're not an idiot? lol If the models were stable for a decade this would be easier, back in the day we had a handleful of models and we learned there local quirks and could easily improve on them. But these days they've made it a crap shoot ;) ATL NWS certainly is hugging the GFS without hesitation.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived