• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

Some comments, predictions, and wishcasting:

A - The GFS looks good for my backyard on the south side of Birmingham, AL. Possibly start as some sleet and then transition over to snow. 1-2 inches looks like a decent bet and if we get under that axis of heavier precip, possibly 3"+ (!!!!)

B -  Even with snowcover, I think those temperatures are too cold across North Carolina. I definitely think some people could make a run towards 0 with widespread single digits, but 11 below zero in Raleigh? I'll believe it when I see it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

From Allan Huffman.  He Really cut down totals in the west.

C1bf3tTWgAAvFAn.jpg

I would love to see a similar graphic for Alabama. I'm supposed to leave North Alabama early Saturday morning driving to Tampa. I'm thinking I won't know which route to take until I start driving and get road condition reports.

2 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Welcome Mike!

Lets see how it plays out as the cards continue to fall. Skip many old timers  around here have been down this rabbit hole many times. 

Yeah, and all the upgrades in the last few years have made things more difficult.  Always so many factors and more so, more interpretations from a wide variety of mets and amateurs alike.  Social media doesn't help much as more nutjobs have a platform to misinform.  But anyway...one thing is this, the further north that SFC low tracks in the Eastern GOM, more likely, a transferrance along the baroclinic zone happens.  Believe it would be best if the GOM reflection is further south and crosses FL in the Peninsula vs northern FL.  What I saw the EURO do was transferrance of energy to the SW Atlantic on the baroclinicity out off the Western Wall of the Gulf Stream, which is why it's screwing GA/AL and reducing amounts.  Could there also be convective robbing issues. Certainly.  So many beasts to face with only a dagger in hand.

1 minute ago, frazdaddy said:

Good to see you in here.

Thanks man.  I have been lurking for several days.  I was really hoping for a Central FL "landfall" so to speak.  Better chances my way plus allows the GOM to just open up with a more consolidated look and less chance of a LOW jump to the ATL.

6 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

No doubt riding the GFS. What's his track record?

He's young, but is very intelligent. Here's one of his tweets about the reasons for his map:

@webberweather Im just northwest of most atm, expecting isentropic upglide bias, current trends, & climatology to favor areas just NW of RDU

4 minutes ago, parrisbutch said:

I would love to see a similar graphic for Alabama. I'm supposed to leave North Alabama early Saturday morning driving to Tampa. I'm thinking I won't know which route to take until I start driving and get road condition reports.

If most of GA gets only .5 to 2" then Alabama gets nothing.

1 minute ago, Miller said:

NWS GSP is saying Euro is conservative, therefore they are leaning towards GFS. 

With regards to amounts, GSP is probably correct.  If I am not mistaken, there is quite a moisture connection deep to the PAC that will have moisture levels 4 to 5 standard deviations above normal, hence why the apocalyptic QPF amounts in CA.  Not sure how that translates downstream if all that gets sucked out back there but the GOM should open right up with WSW flow aloft and favorable jet dynamics.

Just now, Stormsfury said:

With regards to amounts, GSP is probably correct.  If I am not mistaken, there is quite a moisture connection deep to the PAC that will have moisture levels 4 to 5 standard deviations above normal, hence why the apocalyptic QPF amounts in CA.  Not sure how that translates downstream if all that gets sucked out back there but the GOM should open right up with WSW flow aloft and favorable jet dynamics.

The WSW flow would be great for LEE side enhancement among other places. Perfect fetch.  

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the SREF plumes are definitely improved over last night.  The 09z run has the mean around 4" for CLT, RDU, and GSO.  There's a pretty even distribution from nothing up to around 8" with no really clumping, along with a few 20"+ outliers and some 0" outliers.  The 15z plumes will be out within the next couple hours.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/

I think Alan's call map looks really good at this point.  NE NC is going to get hammered, IMO.

2 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

The WSW flow would be great for LEE side enhancement among other places. Perfect fetch.  

It definitely should be.  As for my region, it's a battlezone.  This area might have cold rain.  Mixing, light freezing rain accretions, sleet, maybe snow as temps crash.  The whole gambit is there.  Still trying to peg down thermals and timing of how aggressive cold air pushes down and also what role evap. Cooling takes this go around.  The air mass is building in at go time.

2 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

that's what i was thinking. looks like more separation also. 

You can also see on the HRRR that the northern part of the gulf coast precip. shield is rain/snow mix vs. just rain on the NAM. Another indication that the HRRR is pushing the colder air faster than the NAM is.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived