SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, griteater said:

At 48-51 good snow in a lot of E NC save the SE Coast....totals are down, but good in NE corner of NC into SE corner of VA

This looked like the yucky, non-stream separated CMC runs.  Haven't seen the UKMet, but it doesn't sound like it went this direction.  More model wobbles will continue

about 1/3rd of the GFS QPF in this run. 

Just now, burgertime said:

Totals don't look great on the Euro map...but with that Vort coming over head you would see a lot of forcing and more snow than the Euro is showing I would suspect. Jot a bad run but we're rooting for the GFS. 

Should be close to about 24 hours away from some precip breaking out in GA. Isn't it kind of a watch radar and temps thing, from here on out?

Before everyone cliff dives because of the Euro- I looked at the difference in the vort max between it and the GFS and it is miniscule. Plus, 0-48 hours is not in the Euro's wheelhouse, no evidence at that time range it is better. Also, it has been flopping around a lot more than the GFS, consistency is a big deal in forecasting IMO. So am I worried? Yes. Am going to change my forecast and launch myself into the void? Not yet

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

I don't know...Euro/CMC/NAM/RGEM almost totally blank Atlanta...might have to just go with that camp and save myself massive disappointment. That's just a hard line of players to beat at this point in time.

You tell me it so frustrating now... the GFS has been consistent consistent and all these runs particular Euro/CMC where all over the board yesterday finally agreed with GFS and then went back to something complete different. Perhaps something to be said about how matter is being handled by these guys

Just now, burgertime said:

GA blanked on this run. GSP to CLT to RDU are 2-4...one little 4+ blip just south of Rock Hill in SC. 

This is the concern early transfer of energy to the Atlantic low so no precip explodes over N AL/GA.  Need the trough slightly sharper and a bit further west like the GFS/UKMET/ICON

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Hard to imagine the two major globals still being in such a disagreement at this point.  I'd usually side with the EURO but Ukie and GFS have been pretty darn consistent with more qpf.  

The problem is that it's not just the EURO showing this. It has two short range models on it's side: NAM/RGEM. Even the CMC sort of agrees. That's what worries me the most.

27 minutes ago, UpStateCAD said:

sure seems like in the UpState/GSP area we are using a lot of precip to wet-bulb.  End up using over half of the precip to bring 2M temps below freezing.  I think this particular area has a huge bust potential.

That's exactly what I was questioning earlier

8 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

about 1/3rd of the GFS QPF in this run. 

Just looked at the UKMet.  It's really weird with the models this morning.  It's like they were converging together last night...now the GFS and UKMet like a sharpened wave and more storm and the Euro and Canadian like a quicker, late hitter.  Temper the GFS amounts I guess, but I would lean more toward the GFS/UKMet solution come go time, JMO

4 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

The problem is that it's not just the EURO showing this. It has two short range models on it's side: NAM/RGEM. Even the CMC sort of agrees. That's what worries me the most.

The 2 models that yesterday where aligning more with the GFS which the Euro did as well

Just now, griteater said:

Just looked at the UKMet.  It's really weird with the models this morning.  It's like they were converging together last night...now the GFS and UKMet like a sharpened wave and more storm and the Euro and Canadian like a quicker, late hitter.  Temper the GFS amounts I guess, but I would lean more toward the GFS/UKMet solution come go time, JMO

Very interested to see what blend the WPC uses for the afternoon forecast.  That will speak volumes.  I agree, Ukmet and GFS have been very consistent with the overall set up.  Euro, CMC, et all not so much. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived