joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wow said:

Yep.  Some times too much resolution can screw up the sfc profile with so many little vorts moving ahead it can't get a consolidated LP in place fast enough.

Precisely...too many shiny things for the model to chase to lead down the wrong trail.

1 minute ago, NorthGaWinter said:

Lol, the gfs has beaten the euro and others, but watch it cave to the NAM

It's funny how the solution on the table now with widespread snow is close to the GFS from Monday regarding snow coverage.  The EURO has finally hopped on board.  If the 12z NAM tomorrow shows this then I would have some pause.

40 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Indeed..has been a bit too fast as noted by wpc. that said, the nam and other models are showing precip  heavy enough that i would expect we are going to start seeing some dynamical cooling effects. indeed, you can see hints of it already. Note the 0c showing up at 850c below...in general  850mb temps are 3c colder across central ga compared to the 06z run...in part because of that heavy precip. As we get closer i think we will see more of that...these type of things though are normally something the models have a hard time picking up on until we get close. It's very possible that there could be a sudden crash of temps to the south of the stable 0c isotherm at 850 to 950mb and a sudden changeover sooner than the models would indicate. 

850th.us_se.png

I noticed that as well...I would think I could have a shot at the dynamic cooling max around here since I will have the heaviest precipitation rates.

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I should say the RGEM still looks about the same for places like Raleigh. 

Yea, everyone west of CLT are losers on the RGEM...everything east does ok. CLT is just on the .25 side of things. I suspect you'll see precip totals ramping up further west as we go on through the day and into tomorrow. Just a gut feeling there. 

Just now, MotoWeatherman said:

I'm still clinging to my 1 inch up here on the worst guidance solutions.  If GFS still trends north you have to through out these runs of the NAM and RGEM today.

1 or even 2 " would be a pretty big letdown after what the models showed overnight and the GFS all along

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived