SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Incoming wall of awesomeness approaching CLT, RDU at 39. I would think rates could overcome some of the watmer air nearby if qpf as progged now is that heavy. But yes def better for NW areas.

Indeed..has been a bit too fast as noted by wpc. that said, the nam and other models are showing precip  heavy enough that i would expect we are going to start seeing some dynamical cooling effects. indeed, you can see hints of it already. Note the 0c showing up at 850c below...in general  850mb temps are 3c colder across central ga compared to the 06z run...in part because of that heavy precip. As we get closer i think we will see more of that...these type of things though are normally something the models have a hard time picking up on until we get close. It's very possible that there could be a sudden crash of temps to the south of the stable 0c isotherm at 850 to 950mb and a sudden changeover sooner than the models would indicate. 

850th.us_se.png

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

NAM gives me about half a foot! But it does look very strung out and wrong... Dont think the low would develop that far ahead of the main trough

Exactly.  GFS has the low well back into the GOM at the same time.  NAM has the base of the s/w back over AR yet already has the low on the SE coast.  It tranferred wayy to early so it left  the western areas with minimal precip.

Just now, mckinnonwg said:

the NAM 12K trended better....

Possible Noob Question: I know 4K is dialed in better but the fact that the 12K increased is a good thing...or no

Depends on where you look.  For GA it decreased...especially far north GA  Personally I wouldn't fret over surface details of the NAM right now as my most interest with it is the sharper 500mb trough.

14 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, this storm has a good chance to be the biggest over a more widespread area, since the 2011 storm!

IF, IF, temps aren't a concern! They showed that bubble with windflow arrows on TWC this morning, and it looked like through Greenville, the winds were NEasterly, and coming from ATL, they were NWesterly, and they kind of converged on the Lookout bubble.

Mack, I hate that dam* bubble..... I live up toward highway 11 in pickens county and there have been to many times it would be raining here even though hundreds of feet higher in elevation than places like anderson and greenwood but, it would be snowing there....

Just now, GaStorm said:

How accurate is it within 48 hrs vs 24 hrs?

No idea.  Everybody always says how bad it is post 60 hours.  It doesn't improve until inside 48 hours.  That's where it's useful, they say.  Now, we're inside 36 hours and it doesn't have a clue?  Hmmmm....

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Haha true, I guess.  But it's going to have to massively correct pronto, or we're going to see the other guidance continue to step toward it.  The trend has clearly been NW for a while now, though not as extreme as the NAM.

NAM will fix itself, usually will be the last to do so.  It has a tendency to harp on the wrong piece of energy to place the sfc low.  I'm seeing this trend slower with more precip further west.

Peeps...I wouldn't completely fret over the NAM just yet.  Personally I think outside of 24 hours the NAM's value starts to drop off dramatically.  The most important take away from this NAM run is the 500mb trough slightly deeper.  That's it...

The NAM is trying to join the party so give it some time.  :)

1 minute ago, Wow said:

NAM will fix itself, usually will be the last to do so.  It has a tendency to harp on the wrong piece of energy to place the sfc low.  I'm seeing this trend slower with more precip further west.

A slower trend is preferred for all areas, I think.  We'll see if the RGEM backs up the NAM.  If it does, then we may have some problems.

1 minute ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Peeps...I wouldn't completely fret over the NAM just yet.  Personally I think outside of 24 hours the NAM's value starts to drop off dramatically.  The most important take away from this NAM run is the 500mb trough slightly deeper.  That's it...

The NAM is trying to join the party so give it some time.  :)

Yeah this could turn out to be a bigger storm for areas further north including NW GA that had barely any accumulations on the map for a while.

1 minute ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

So H5 is correct but it translated to surface incorrect?

As far as trend of placement and sharpness of the trough, yes.  It's following the trend of all other models.   There a little piece of vort energy ahead of the wave that's placing the sfc low way ahead of it which kills off any blossoming of precip over W NC/SC/GA.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived