• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

new 06z icon. Increased totals yet again over the western carolinas/north ga..as well as eastern nc.  Now showing near an inch liquid for the mountains of north ga/sw nc. stripe of nearly 1.25 from athens to southern upstate....where it's likely to be colder/mostly all snow in the upstate.  This will be a good test to see how it well it does. 

PR_000-072_0000.gif

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lookout said:

new 06z icon. Increased totals yet again over the western carolinas/north ga.  Now showing near an inch liquid for the mountains of north ga/sw nc. stripe of nearly 1.25 from athens to southern upstate....where it's likely to be colder/mostly all snow in the upstate.  This will be a good test to see how it well it does. 

PR_000-072_0000.gif

Interesting how this nugget find was showing the crazy north precip yesterday and now everything is trending this direction.  The Germans like high performance.

8 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Last 4 runs of the GFS you can clearly see the trend of digging the shortwave further south across the OK panhandle with increase ridging across the Carolinas.  QPF has responded to that as well by ramping up and also inching northward.  I would expect this trend to continue.  This would be good snow new for places farther north in GA and further west in the Carolinas.  Small changes make a huge difference.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh36_trend.gif

Check out the 6z rgem

Time to start looking at real data, not just models. The air mass in place right now is colder than forecast here, and the sat pic shows lots of clouds to the west so I wonder if the guidance saying low-mid 50s here today is too high. The colder the air before the storm, the better.

19 minutes ago, Lookout said:

yeah...it could have been better and probably should have at least mentioned the possibility of more. Equally as  frustrating is watching the local on air mets...making definitive statements that *at most* people will probably see just an inch or two..with isolated 3 inch pockets "in the mountains"...without even mentioning the possibility of more.  I understand trying to temper expectations and not over hype but given the model data currently that is quite absurd. I don't understand why they can't say  "hey look..this is what we are forecasting but there is a chance there could be quite a bit more if it works out just right".  Otherwise, you end up in a situation where once again people are not fully informed of how much there could be and end up getting stranded and in accidents..yet again. 

It's honesty a disservice to the public. I don't understand why a lot of them just look at FFC and repeat what they say. As you and cheese has said there is plenty of data suggesting much more is possible. All modelse are trending colder and "wetter" 

8 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Time to start looking at real data, not just models. The air mass in place right now is colder than forecast here, and the sat pic shows lots of clouds to the west so I wonder if the guidance saying low-mid 50s here today is too high. The colder the air before the storm, the better.

Great point 

44 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Last 4 runs of the GFS you can clearly see the trend of digging the shortwave further south across the OK panhandle with increase ridging across the Carolinas.  QPF has responded to that as well by ramping up and also inching northward.  I would expect this trend to continue.  This would be good snow new for places farther north in GA and further west in the Carolinas.  Small changes make a huge difference.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh36_trend.gif

Exactly what I was talking about last night when comparing to the ICON.  Small differences but can completely change the outcome for many, esp. in the more western areas of NC/SC/GA.

34 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Good point.  FWIW, at 8am - we were 6 degrees below our expected morning low. (28 vs. 34)  About 30 miles north of CAE.

3 minutes ago, Jonesing for a chase said:

Don, really appreciate your input!  It is remarkably similar to '73, give us a good, deep full continental trough with a disturbance underneath and it's game time in the SE.  Of course, a colder climate then so makes sense this is about 50-100 miles further north.

Thanks. I suspect that the synoptic details have more to do with the axis of heavy snow than the ongoing warming since 1973. The warming may lead to somewhat more moisture being available than would otherwise be the case.

Enjoy the storm.

37 minutes ago, deltadog03 said:

It's honesty a disservice to the public. I don't understand why a lot of them just look at FFC and repeat what they say. As you and cheese has said there is plenty of data suggesting much more is possible. All modelse are trending colder and "wetter" 

yeah it always kills me when they say "this is what I believe will happen"...translation 9/10 times is "this is what i copied from peachtree city" lol

19 minutes ago, Wow said:

American models are surrendering to the Germans

if it means more snow...i'm sure folks are ok with that 

and lets not forget about the french...yet again another increase in totals..now showing as much as  1.5 + liquid in eastern nc (some of that might be rain but there is quite a lot of 35 to 40mm totals that looks to be mostly snow...regardless, the main point is it increased totals pushed higher amounts inland there from the 0z run.)

PR_000-060_0000.gif

1 minute ago, BFF said:

Seeing a few folks post the ICON, Arpege and other lesser known models. What is the reliability of these various fringe models? I'm guessing fairly low or they'd be in wider use?

I believe the French model did very well last year with our winter and maybe the year before. It was built off the Euro model with "enhancements". I don't know much about the German model other than it may have some Euro in it as well. 

1 hour ago, Lookout said:

guess who is slap dab in the middle of the screwzone there? ....:gun_bandana::axe:

That being said...a don't think it's going to be quite as bad/extreme as the gfs keeps painting as...mainly because the column is cold enough that steady rates should be able to get snow the surface and crash the surface temps more/faster than the gfs and others have been showing. The 06z gfs made it a closer call though...but at the same time it increased liquid totals quite a lot. Up to 1.33 liquid here...i would have to believe that although the airmass isn't terribly dry aloft...a combo of initial evap cooling combined with with precip that heavy there is likely to be more dynamical cooling that is being shown in the upper savannah river valley...especially since strong waa will be absent. There is even the possibility of a lot of sleet in this area...if things shake out just right for a length of time.   If we were talking a 0.25 to 0.50....the bubble would probably be screwed but that is a lot of precip. Quite a bit might depend on just how warm the area gets tomorrow. If clouds/precip move in sooner...those mid 40s the gfs has been showing  ( even upper 40s east of the savannah river) will probably be too high which obviously could make a difference later.  But no doubt some will be wasted still though. 

It certainly is a nail biter here though and i'd much rather it being shown being cold enough period.  If things warm any further I might end up having to head to gainesville or something but it's extremely frustrating that it's even an issue when temps are going to be much much colder every where else...in this case maybe as little as 20 to 25 miles in places...where there could be some exceptionally high totals. 

I know you're in FFC territory but GSP has some words in their disco that you'll enjoy!

Confidence has increased on this event as previous suggestions that
warm advection ahead of the low might bring a warm nose into our
area, but the 05/00z model cycle trended slightly colder. Notably,
per the GEFS thickness-based p-type algorithm, all 22 of its members
transition from rain to snow at GSP and CLT by 06z Saturday. Overall
at this point it appears safe to assume that sfc temps will determine
p-type. Timing differences between the GFS/EC/GEM are on the order of
a few hours; the NAM remains an outlier in that it brings the low
through several hours earlier than the others. Its timing is being
discounted.

Winter storm watch now up for RAH

829 AM EST THU JAN 5 2017

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY
EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF CENTRAL NC, EXCLUDING THE NORTHWEST
  PIEDMONT. AT THIS TIME, APPEARS A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW WILL
  EXTEND FROM THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT NORTHEAST INTO THE NORTHERN
  COASTAL PLAIN. ACROSS SECTIONS OF THE SANDHILLS AND SOUTHERN
  COASTAL PLAIN, A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL OCCUR OVERNIGHT
  FRIDAY NIGHT THEN TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW, OR A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES WITH LOCALLY
  HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. ACROSS THE SANDHILLS AND THE SOUTHERN
  COASTAL PLAIN, 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET IS EXPECTED.

* TIMING...MOST OF THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR BETWEEN
  MIDNIGHT AND NOON SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...SNOW PACKED ROADS WILL LEAD TO HAZARDOUS DRIVING
  CONDITIONS OVERNIGHT FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES WILL LOWER INTO THE 20S LATE FRIDAY
  NIGHT, AND STRUGGLE TO REACH FREEZING SATURDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW, SLEET, OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

This storm probably won't be quite as big with its highest snow accumulations, but it should still be quite impressive.

Plus the heaviest snow totals are displaced much farther to the north.  In the 1973 storm, this area received 15"...for this storm we're expecting 0":weep:. I believe the low track was also across central FL in 1973 as opposed to the more northern FL track for this weekend's system. It looks like the thermal profiles for our area are going to be a few degrees too warm. NWS is forecasting rain with a low of 35 tomorrow night. 

3 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

I know you're in FFC territory but GSP has some words in their disco that you'll enjoy!

Confidence has increased on this event as previous suggestions that
warm advection ahead of the low might bring a warm nose into our
area, but the 05/00z model cycle trended slightly colder. Notably,
per the GEFS thickness-based p-type algorithm, all 22 of its members
transition from rain to snow at GSP and CLT by 06z Saturday. Overall
at this point it appears safe to assume that sfc temps will determine
p-type. Timing differences between the GFS/EC/GEM are on the order of
a few hours; the NAM remains an outlier in that it brings the low
through several hours earlier than the others. Its timing is being
discounted.

Good find in the disco Don. As the players continue to move into real time tracking, I hope this can be fleshed out more. 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, El Kabong said:

Plus the heaviest snow totals are displaced much farther to the north.  In the 1973 storm, this area received 15"...for this storm we're expecting 0":weep:. I believe the low track was also across central FL in 1973 as opposed to the more northern FL track for this weekend's system. It looks like the thermal profiles for our area are going to be a few degrees too warm. NWS is forecasting rain with a low of 35 tomorrow night. 

Yes. Hopefully there will be enough cold air near the end of the storm to allow you to receive at least a little snow.

8 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

AM 500mb analysis shows the short wave over northern CA looking a bit stronger than the GFS showed at 6 hours. This seems to be borne out by water vapor loops.Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 8.28.42 AM.png

Interesting.  Looks closer to the German at 6 hrs than the GFS.

lSQPIOs.png

eQn04wY.png

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived