joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

Ditto...but he stated he was going with a EURO lean as well as others and they have the storm moving fast.  If he leaned towards the GFS, it would be on us.

He left himself room to make changes. At least the GFS is mostly snow (a little sleet). Hopefully, that scenario will play out.

10 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

Ditto...but he stated he was going with a EURO lean as well as others and they have the storm moving fast.  If he leaned towards the GFS, it would be on us.

He left himself room to make changes. At least the GFS is mostly snow (a little sleet). Hopefully, that scenario will play out.

3 minutes ago, fritschy said:

I wish the storm would slow down and take its time, that would help a lot.

We got rain for 3 straight days and when we have a chance for something wintry we can't get more than a few hours. Anyone happen to know the mechanics of this last system, why it was so long and strung out and why we don't see those for winter events? What would need to happen to see a 48 hour snow event? 

2 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

We got rain for 3 straight days and when we have a chance for something wintry we can't get more than a few hours. Anyone happen to know the mechanics of this last system, why it was so long and strung out and why we don't see those for winter events? What would need to happen to see a 48 hour snow event? 

Good questions for a non-busy time.  We have lots of those.

5 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Surface features look better but hard to see what at 500b is causing it -- s/w not very impressive; neither is the troughing particularly sharp or favorably titled. It's almost like surface features are catching up to improvements at 5h in previous runs.

It's a little sharper.  A small step toward my new fav model the Icon!

One thing I've struggled understanding is the lack of high to the north during this system.  Our big snows (in NC) usually don't come from a high out near the rockies...  

That leads me to believe central NC sees more rain/mix before transitioning to snow.  I just think the cold air is going to be delayed.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived