• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

Hope I did this right (Copy/Paste)...  Do they normally have these social media Q&As?  I've not noticed them before this...

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
318 PM EST Wed Jan 4 2017

...WINTER WEATHER SOCIAL MEDIA QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION TO BE
HELD THURSDAY AFTERNOON FROM 2 TO 3 PM EST...

The National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg South
Carolina office will be holding a social media question and answer
session on Twitter and Facebook Thursday, January 5 from 2 to 3 pm
EST. During that hour, we will attempt to answer as many of your
questions as possible about the upcoming winter weather across our
region. Please tweet your questions or comments to @NWSGSP or
post or message us on our U.S. National Weather Service
Greenville-Spartanburg SC Facebook page.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This didn't make sense from the Atlanta NWS Discussion.  8 to 1 is wet snow, not dry...

"Expect this snow, particularly across north GA to be dry in nature, and have opted to go with a 8 to 1 ratio of water equivalent to snow. Future
forecast packages may opt for an even higher ratio, producing additional snow accumulation."

15 minutes ago, griteater said:

The 2 models showing the riskiest setup are the NAM and the CMC (models with the least stream separation).  Good news is that it's the long range NAM and the CMC.  Bad new is, it's not out of the realm of possibility, though low chance.  The CMC did make a little progress in the 12z run though

I was surprised WPC liked the NAM.  Fairly good agreement between GFS/Euro/UK on separation.  I guess the good news is even the least desirable NAM gets snowfall in and around the areas. 

Come on GFS, get in the game!

From the RAH disco published at 2:35 this afternoon:

Bust potential: The GFS solution is very cold and further south
meaning that if it verifies the southern tier could get more than
the 1-3 inch most likely scenario. This could lead to a bust on the
low side for the NW Piedmont with that area getting less than an
inch if the moisture axis is too far south.

The ECMWF solution is further north and could lead to the opposite
scenario where temperatures are warmer across the south and a mix of
rain/sleet/snow cuts down accumulations significantly. This
northerly scenario would shift the heavier banding of snow to the
north which could lead to higher amounts in the NW Piedmont than the
1-3 inch most likely scenario.

The NAM solution is a mix of the two and may be the closest to the
actual forecast.

More and more sites are doing those Q&A sessions, which is great for the public IMO.

Nate Johnson at WRAL did a facebook live earlier today and folks were getting super frustrated in the comments because he wouldn't tell an exact amount or location.  

One thing I want to keep an eye out is the progression of the 850 through central NC.  I think more mixing will occur until the 850 is established which may reduce totals in the triangle.  Someone mentioned the ecmwf ensembles have a more southern 850 than the op.  Trend to keep an eye on given the euro's track record with those temps.

Wow made a great point about the sharpness of the trough and how that related to bigger totals.  Seems like it makes a big difference. What do we need to look for in future runs for the trough to sharpen up?  

Edit, gosh the NAM is aweful.  Basically a non event until it gets to the ocean. 

1 minute ago, Trevor1621 said:

http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/virginia-beach-va/23451/daily-weather-forecast/351321?day=4 accuweather showing 8-12 for Virginia Beach as of now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accuweather is saying "Around a foot" for Greensboro when I know that isn't going to happen. Can't put a whole alot of trust in their totals at all.

8 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

12z Euro gives me 0.8" qpf at temps between 30 and 32. Verbatim 7-9 inches. EPS avg is around 3-4" for my area.

Latest NAM has me at 5", 12z GFS has about 1-2" for me but with a bullseye 50 miles to the south.

I'm getting more confident, but being in extreme SEVA you can never get your hopes up.

Im rooting for ya, Hoping to head down from northern Va to do some plowing if there is enough. Its looking like 6" is pretty doable!

Accuweather is saying "Around a foot" for Greensboro when I know that isn't going to happen. Can't put a whole alot of trust in their totals at all.

Haha I agree 100%. I always get so hyped up for snow around here, but even if I saw everywhere/everyone saying 10000% chance of 14 inches for Virginia Beach in the back of my mind I'd just know it would end up being 1-2 inches of wet snow. FINGERS CROSSED THOUGH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

The NAM really has me worried.

You looking at the NAM, has me worried! Kendra Kent , local fox met, going with 2+, as of now! Said could go higher, some models are showing zero snow! Keeping an eye on it!

Another concern for me, is our low is only 39 Thursday night, and high of 46 Friday!!! Per TWC local 

2 minutes ago, bargainmusic said:

Weather Channel had W-S around 2-4", dropped us down to about 1-2" if we're lucky. I don't think this will hit us at all.

I think 1-3" for GSO, 2-4" for RDU, 3-6" along I-95 (with 6"+ along a stripe) looks like a good call at this point.  I think this could be an Elizabeth City and/or Norfolk jackpot.  If the storm spools up and bombs out, someone in NE NC/SE VA could see double-digit totals.

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Wow made a great point about the sharpness of the trough and how that related to bigger totals.  Seems like it makes a big difference. What do we need to look for in future runs for the trough to sharpen up?  

Honestly, CLT won't like a sharpened wave, but Big Frosty would.  We're right where we need to be.  This isn't a monster storm setup for us.  Just light to moderate

One thing that would sharpen it would be for increased separation and less positive tilt as it treks through the 4 corners. 

Not sure how increased western ridging would affect things...could deepen it, or it could kick it forward.

Less arctic press through the Ohio Valley would lift the heights there and open the door for the wave to sharpen and climb

Only thing about the NAM that could be considered disconcerting is that, in winters past, it notoriously OVERestimated QPF. I remember some NAM clown maps looking like that Sierra Nevada map somebody posted a few pages back. Anyway, all the usual "NAM sucks" caveats apply, but I'd rather be discounting its wetness than dryness.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived