• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

3 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I don't think the low itself moved NW, but the precip shield certainly did.  Maybe about 50 miles or so.  CLT now in the 4-5" range.  I'd call that a huge win at this point. 

Exactly, I'm pretty sure when hurricane Matthew was unfolding some more experienced people around here commented that GFS still has a problem with sharp NW precip cutoffs and they were right as the model trended much wetter for my area. I don't know is it fixed, but it's still worth keeping an eye on.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Just curious, where are you guys looking at the UK and CMC this early? My sources do not update for another 1/2 hour.

CMC sfc maps come out early on StormVista (h5 comes later)

You can get the UKMet early at this link, but it only begins at hr96, nothing before that...and it will ruin your neck trying to view it sideways on the page

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=60&carte=1021

4 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

I think it moved away.  The GFS has been consistent through ATL on the last four runs and the CMC has only decreased it's action over the area.  It might be different for your spot.

The risk with the GFS is that it tends to be consistently bad when its off.  I will say if the GFS has not moved by this time tomorrow I'd be more certain.  For now I really want to see the NAM/UKMET/Euro join it soon and the RGEM by tomorrow late.

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I haven't heard of it either but this is the meteogram for Raleigh (top) and Atlanta (bottom).

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.34.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.35.37 AM.png

So the metoegram has Atlanta getting .47 inches of precip. accumulation when 850 dip below freezing while Raleigh gets nearly an inch of precip. accumulation when 850s are below freezing.

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

To your question, no.  On the second part, I have pretty high confidence now that we'll get precip from CLT to RDU

Seems like the consensus is the precip min starts at CLT and increases east toward RDU. I think RDU cashes in with this one.  Whatever CLT gets I think RDU gets 50% more with the Atlantic fetch.  Hopefully we can get a bit of a stronger system with the warm gulf waters, etc to tick up these totals just a bit.  4 solid inches is always my goal.  Just enough to cover the grass and make the street disappear.  

26 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

This is the 6th run in a row that has Atlanta at least 4". Biggest change is that earlier we were more on the northern fringe of the heaviest snow, now right in the middle.

:) Rooting for you guys in GA! Very encouraging with 6 runs in a row! So many times especially in the Atlanta area you miss out on almost everything while just to your northeast where we are located in SC we will get hit. When was the last 4+ snow event in your area? 

1 minute ago, SnowNiner said:

Seems like the consensus is the precip min starts at CLT and increases east toward RDU. I think RDU cashes in with this one.  Whatever CLT gets I think RDU gets 50% more with the Atlantic fetch.  Hopefully we can get a bit of a stronger system with the warm gulf waters, etc to tick up these totals just a bit.  4 solid inches is always my goal.  Just enough to cover the grass and make the street disappear.  

Temps and NW trend still my #1 concern FWIW

nc folks will like this one...the dwd-icon drops 0.50 to 0.75 for a pretty big area with almost an inch liquid in the mountains. looks cold enough aloft at least for much of north ga and sc too. 

P1_GZ_D5_PN_066_0000.gif&key=4aaf198c7d73e44b9152a87f58c11eb33d02992ca780054e4917f0c9d5a718c3

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif&key=1529fd1af732076948122fbbab8f2cf55603322d1eda69271bd1e9913fde2fac

P1_GZ_D5_PN_078_0000.gif&key=b0e77ccb61ef34c6441fa70627575404c8d5b0b08ce2be9180c3d67130917394\

PR_000-072_0000.gif&key=684582bc6f990dd91c6aec68c70e66a40259564492e26d4346118b680cf16beb

Finally a model that we NC people can believe in thanks for posting lookout!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chapelhillwx said:

It is kind of funny that two days ago people were saying they'd much rather have the Euro show high totals instead of the GFS and now we've gotten our wish.

Exactly and still people are saying trust the GFS it has been consistent when a few days ago it was showing almost 3 ft of snow in NC.. 

4 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

:) Rooting for you guys in GA! Very encouraging with 6 runs in a row! So many times especially in the Atlanta area you miss out on almost everything while just to your northeast where we are located in SC we will get hit. When was the last 4+ snow event in your area? 

For ATL, it'd have to be the January 9-10, 2011 storm. Great memories from that storm! 

Actually...KATL didn't get to 4'' officially. But they came close at 3.7''.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived