joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TiltedStorm said:

Just a general questions. Why doesn't local mets talk more about the UKMET. It's all about the GFS and Euro. Always wondered why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UKMET is known as the crazy uncle for a reason :lol:   It's a good supporting cast once you get past the initial crazyness of it at times ;) 

If you use the "NavGEM rule" based on its 12Z run it would most definitely indicate the GFS/Euro are slightly too far south and east for places like AL/GA and potentially WAY too south and east for eastern SC/NC/VA.  The UKIE could be onto something for sure if you use the typical NavGEM tendency.

2 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I second this. Technically the euro swapped places with the gfs which means the gfs sniffed out a good NC snow first.. gfs has a suppression bias in this timeframe so no surprise it's suppressed. Look for it to tick back NW throughout the next several runs.  To me GFS has had a great handle on this storm... euro not so much it tried to sell the suppressed looks for days while gfs insisted on a snowy look

The gfs has been all over the place. It has to have some consistency. At least the Euro for the most part has. Also the Ukie has been very consistent but once the wave actually enters the West coast that could mean even more adjusting. Time will tell but all in fun.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

The gfs has been all over the place. It has to have some consistency. At least the Euro for the most part has. Also the Ukie has been very consistent but once the wave actually enters the West coast that could mean even more adjusting. Time will tell but all in fun.

I'm curious to see how much of a shift we get once the energy comes ashore. The few runs after that is our normal time for the usual NW trend  I like our chances though with the gfs showing it's typical suppression. This euro run will be very telling 

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Clear difference in the amplification here.  UK would work for upstate to Charlotte, but we couldn't afford any more NW correction.

207ugqs.gif

Grit, with us basically all but totally losing the -NAO block, wouldn't a more suppressed track be sort of...odd? Not wishcasting by any means but I've wondered how everything (including the NS energy for that matter) is being forced so far south without a solid Greenland block.

5 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I'm curious to see how much of a shift we get once the energy comes ashore. The few runs after that is our normal time for the usual NW trend  I like our chances though with the gfs showing it's typical suppression. This euro run will be very telling 

Yes that will be very interesting and too see if the other models waver once the wave hits the coast.

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Grit, with us basically all but totally losing the -NAO block, wouldn't a more suppressed track be sort of...odd? Not wishcasting by any means but I've wondered how everything (including the NS energy for that matter) is being forced so far south without a solid Greenland block.

I'm not Grit, but the ridge in the west plays a role, I do believe. 

Just now, Jonathan said:

It's simply one of those thread the needle cases.  Northern stream swings thru the Great Lakes and the southern wave tracks right behind and is only allowed to climb north so much.  Good example of how we get winter storms without a big block....they do happen....but there's just a tight timing window for it to work

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

UK has that very mixture look for Raleigh.

Go Big or Go Home. Lol its a warented risk no doubt you'll get waa and face mixing issues if you get a deepening miller A track in the SE. I'd cash in on the 12z canadian middle ground look  but the gfs super seppressed ain't gonna cut it here unless it rides the gulf coast shoreline. 

11 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Don't think I actually addressed your main question above.  I'd say what is forcing everything so far south is 1) the 'Jon' EPO block, and 2) the big low that rotates through E Canada in a couple of days (this is the feature that the UKMet was first to key on to get us into this position)....those 2 things are combining to force the height pattern south 

22 minutes ago, griteater said:

Clear difference in the wave amplification over the SE.  UK would work for upstate to Charlotte, but we couldn't afford any more NW correction.

207ugqs.gif

Which works into the biases of each of these models. UKMET tends to amplify, but has been consistent.  GFS has always been known as the suppressor, following the footsteps of its predecessor, the MRF.

UKMET is a straight up Miller A that'll change E NC, SC, GA from snow to rain as it phases over the the SE and WAA draws up.  But big, big, for the western areas.

Archived