joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NAM has been much better in the last year.  It still has some horrible moments, but its generally more trustworthy now than it was 18 month or 2 years ago.  Its interesting the new parallel NAM though looks exactly like the GFS.

yea, also keep in mind the para gfs has been in lockstep w/ the op gfs the past 3 runs.  

National Weather Service Norman OK 
Although yesterday the GFS
ensemble members were generally matching their operational
counterpart, today there are a few members bailing on the
consensus and showing the strong surface ridge similar to the
ECMWF/Canadian solution around 00Z/Saturday. Again have gone on
the cooler side of the guidance envelope, but there is still
plenty of uncertainty.

Just wanted to throw that out there

12 minutes ago, deltadog03 said:

I will say this...the NAM is doing an absolutely AWFUL job right now in the short term.  Does it mean anything?  Heck IDK.... the 6 hour rain totals..  (0z to 6z) so about another 3 hours worth...it has me only getting maybe .30" of rain at most....I am at .85" since 6pm or so....  storm total just over 6"

Yep, from what I've seen and heard from other people that live in that area the NAM really missed on precip totals through central and south GA. 

We've got the match, we just need to get a spark. 

And our matchbook is wet.

Seriously think the GFS moves even closer to the Euro. Hate the trends, even if it remotely stays the same I'd be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

And our matchbook is wet.

Seriously think the GFS moves even closer to the Euro. Hate the trends, even if it remotely stays the same I'd be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way things have gone we could see a full collapse to the euro then back to a better system the next few days. 

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

The way things have gone we could see a full collapse to the euro then back to a better system the next few days. 

As hard as this is to make sense of, IMO a full collapse now is better than the GFS holding ground and no change from the Euro.  IMO, in that case the GFS will eventually cave late and the event probably is nothing.  If it caves now and the Euro does not go any more south or suppressed it opens the door for adjustment north later.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

As hard as this is to make sense of, IMO a full collapse now is better than the GFS holding ground and no change from the Euro.  IMO, in that case the GFS will eventually cave late and the event probably is nothing.  If it caves now and the Euro does not go any more south or suppressed it opens the door for adjustment north later.

Exactly. I agree 100% If we are working towards the Euro then cave this run then we watch for small adjustments for the next 4 to 5 days. Will be better like you said than a meet in the middle I think.

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

BINGO!!

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep. We been down this road countless times. Very highly likely gfs caves into euro or vice versa soon. Then we'll get another twist most likely wed night thurs.

Don't get to down if we get left with a weak as pond water 2cnd wave after tonight's runs. The warm sst's and the whole multiple case studies on last second isentrophic lift suprises in Carolina snowstorm case studies is a ace in the hole that may save the day at the end and turn a 2 to 3 inch event into a 4 to 8.

National Weather Service Norman OK 
Although yesterday the GFS
ensemble members were generally matching their operational
counterpart, today there are a few members bailing on the
consensus and showing the strong surface ridge similar to the
ECMWF/Canadian solution around 00Z/Saturday. Again have gone on
the cooler side of the guidance envelope, but there is still
plenty of uncertainty.

Just wanted to throw that out there

Guys we have seen this before with the Euro. There have been other storms where it held out till the last couple of days and then folded or changed course at the end. It really isn't that uncommon. Will it happen this time? Who knows. The Euro isn't the all knowing, and this is still nearly 5 days out for the Carolinas. I seriously doubt any model has reached it's final run (or even anything close) including the Euro. There are some indications of the GFS and CMC trending more towards the NAM in the last couple of runs, but I would not put too much into that until at least Wed or even Thurs. Who knows, maybe the Euro wins and we get the shaft, but panicking on Monday evening seems a little silly. We know the 12z GFS is so unlikely it isn't even worth a Lloyd Christmas meme, but there are some ingredients to watch here. Heck, some systems the models never seem to figure out - didn't we have one last winter that no model ever got a handle on? 

Archived