Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been posted but just something to think about as we all watch these weenie runs of the GFS.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

TWO CAMPS OF SOLUTIONS EMERGE AT THE START OF DAY 3/THU...WITH THE 00Z GFS MORE PROGRESSIVE WITH SHORTWAVE TROUGHS CROSSING CENTRAL CANADA...THUS PRODUCING MORE SEPARATION WITH THE RESIDUAL TROUGH ACROSS THE NORTHWEST...AND THEREFORE ALLOWING THE NORTHWEST TO REMAIN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE TROUGH LONGER. THE OTHER CAMP OF SOLUTIONS IS REPRESENTED BY THE 00Z ECMWF WHICH IS SLOWER WITH THE CENTRAL CANADA TROUGH...THUS ALLOWING IT TO SLIGHTLY PHASE WITH THE RESIDUAL TROUGH OVER THE NORTHWEST...WHICH THEN ALLOWS THE TROUGH TO EXIT THE NORTHWEST MORE QUICKLY. WHILE THE ENSEMBLE MEMBER SPREAD IS HIGH...THEREFORE INDICATING LOW CONFIDENCE...RUN-TO-RUN CONTINUITY HAS BEEN HIGHER WITH THE ECMWF-SCENARIO...WITH THE 06Z GFS AND 00Z PARALLEL GFS LEANING STRONGLY IN THE ECMWF DIRECTION. COMBINE THE 00Z CANADIAN...AND ITS LOOKING MORE AND MORE LIKE THE 00Z GFS IS THE ODD MODEL OUT. THUS...THE PREFERENCE IS ABOUT 70 PERCENT IN THE ECMWF DIRECTION FOR ALL 7 DAYS...WITH MORE DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS BLENDED EARLY FOR DETAIL AND AMPLITUDE...AND MORE ENSEMBLES USED LATE DUE TO HIGHER UNCERTAINTY. THESE CHOICES HOLD AS WELL FOR THE EAST COAST...WHICH IF THE 00Z GFS WERE TO BE CORRECT...WOULD SUPPORT A WINTER STORM FOR PARTS OF THE EAST COAST NEXT SUNDAY. HOWEVER...FOR REASONS LISTED ABOVE...ITS SOLUTION IS NEAR THE WESTERN AND DEEP EDGES OF THE GUIDANCE...WITH ONLY ABOUT 4 OUT OF 100 ENSEMBLE MEMBERS SUPPORTING IT AT THIS TIME. INSTEAD...PREFER A SOLUTION MORE OFFSHORE AND PROGRESSIVE.

6 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Here is the Arpege at the end of it's 12z run. It looks similar to the Ukmet with timing and strength. I think this is a good compromise between the GFS solution vs. the CMC/Euro solutions.

Verbatim, I think the Arpege and Ukmet are showing a nice 2 to 4 inch type event for most on this forum with a weak surface low tracking across the northern gulf. The good thing about these runs is, while weak, they are giving the first wave plenty of time to clear out and allow cold air to filter in.

GZ_D5_PN_102_0000.gif

you beat me to it. it's precip is actually more expansive than the gfs at hour 102. overall though it is a nice compromise. 

P1_GZ_D5_PN_102_0000.gif

17 minutes ago, griteater said:

In all seriousness, a blend isn't bad right now.  Could be a lot worse.  Throw the GFS Ens Mean and UKMet into the blender too.

Looks like the CMC Ens Mean was a little more suppressed this run on the sfc charts, but looked a little better/sharper with the trough at h5...it's pretty cold overall

This is going to be one of the great model wars with the GFS/GEFS, it is on such an island.  

The differences at day 3 are just amazing...phase happy/leaving energy behind Euro v/s the progressive GFS.  That ULL either gets left behind and then trails or it doesn't, I am not sure what a middle ground would look like.  Someone is going to give come tomorrow 12z.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 1.52.43 PM.png

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

This is going to be one of the great model wars with the GFS/GEFS, it is on such an island.  

The differences at day 3 are just amazing...phase happy/leaving energy behind Euro v/s the progressive GFS.  That ULL either gets left behind and then trails or it doesn't, I am not sure what a middle ground would look like.  Someone is going to give come tomorrow 12z.

Middle ground would look like the UKMet/French Model.  You like Great Britain and France, right? lol

FWIW since the Euro upgrade was released last winter I've found its tended to have significant suppression issues on storm systems in the 48-96 hour range at times.  The January blizzard was one where it performed badly until inside 48 hours, although it was not yet officially operational until 2/15 or so.

Archived