SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Ukmet still shreds the shortwave... looks like a very weak surface low reflection around New Orleans at 144hrs. My guess is that there would be some light snow streaking across our area with this solution.. maybe 1-3 inch type deal?

Looked like if finally brought some of the Pac wave out, but way north, basically through Montana before dropping it southeast into a very broad trough centered over Missouri...definitely not the sharp trough like GFS

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Looked like if finally brought some of the Pac wave out, but way north, basically through Montana before dropping it southeast into a very broad trough centered over Missouri...definitely not the sharp trough like GFS

I was gonna ask if you get 12 or 6 hr panels on ukmet. This stuff is Tuesday night before it gets into raob data. Right now these waves are in the middle of nowhere

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I was gonna ask if you get 12 or 6 hr panels on ukmet. This stuff is Tuesday night before it gets into raob data. Right now these waves are in the middle of nowhere

Oddly enough the main piece of energy in question has been has been spinning over Washington all day today. I would think it's been sampled fairly well.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_1.png

Just now, burrel2 said:

Oddly enough the main piece of energy in question has been has been spinning over Washington all day today. I would think it's been sampled fairly well.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_1.png

The SW that ejects the SW that spawns the second system is in Russia atm. Wont be in AK for another 54 hours. 

6 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

The kicker sw

Yea, and i'm sure the energy in the pacific will affect how hard the main s/w pulls out towards the pacific over the next few days.  It seems like subtle changes will greatly affect the evolution of our system when you have a small cut offs just meandering around under a ridge like that.

I remember following a shortwave around Southern Califronia a few years ago that looked like it was going to provide a storm for us.  After a few days of promising model runs showing big winter storms,  it wound up never kicking east and just sat there and spun around for a few days waiting for any semblance of cold air to be gone before ejecting.

15 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Everybody is saying the GFS was a bad run but the snow map i'm looking at shows a decent hit in parts of North GA.

All ice. Maybe a short front end thump but then ice->rain. 

Looks like around a half inch in the favorable areas, maybe more snow than zr in Rabun County.

Archived