• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January, the 2nd Meteorological winter month...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's not terrible for our latitude. Not great either. We pop a little western ridging. 

Yeah it hasn't gotten worse and you could perhaps argue it looks a bit better than it did a few days ago. Who knows what it means, but verbatim was not terrible. 

1 minute ago, Hazey said:

The theme continues to be NNE winter overall. Winter is throwing us a bone with this weekends threat but won't surprise me to see it revert back to what we've been getting with cutters and late secondary handoffs.

Sometimes it confuses me when u talk like u live in connecticut or souther mass.  "Throwing us a bone"  you're way above normal.  

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I mean i get it.  We dont have a proper place to post.  But im not going to feign disappointment because it hasnt been snowy in south weymouth or blackstone.  

Speaking only for myself, I really enjoy hearing about what's happening in the Maritimes.  This IS the proper place to post.

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I mean i get it.  We dont have a proper place to post.  But im not going to feign disappointment because it hasnt been snowy in south weymouth or blackstone.  

I'm not in south weymouth. :)

I haven't complained at all. I have no right after the last few years.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mid month continues to look rather hostile for those that enjoy winter weather

It actually looks better ... 

The Pacific circulation medium looks to modulate closer to a neutral PNA... some members going positive.  For those that want more of a favorable look for bringing storminess over eastern N/A... it's better to have that particular index be at  minimum neutral.  

Step in the right direction -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The Pacific circulation medium looks to modulate closer to a neutral PNA... some members going positive.  For those that want more of a favorable look for bringing storminess over eastern N/A... it's better to have that particular index be at  minimum neutral.  

Agreed.

Sometimes it confuses me when u talk like u live in connecticut or souther mass.  "Throwing us a bone"  you're way above normal.  

Referring to current regime we are in. I've had a lucky stretch at the beginning of Dec that dropped some decent snow. Oh and the YHZ totals are on the high side if you ask me. I'm at 57cms to date at my house. So still above normal(not by much). Anyway since dec 19th it's been rain event after rain event. Not a speck of snow on the ground here. If these next two storms miss the pattern after looks shaky at best. Totals to date don't tell the whole story.
What's your snow otg at?

Who's faking anything? I had a good two weeks. That ended two weeks ago. Done gone bye bye. That's in the rear view. I'm looking ahead to when the grass might be covered again. Same as sne I would bet.

5 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Referring to current regime we are in. I've had a lucky stretch at the beginning of Dec that dropped some decent snow. Oh and the YHZ totals are on the high side if you ask me. I'm at 57cms to date at my house. So still above normal(not by much). Anyway since dec 19th it's been rain event after rain event. Not a speck of snow on the ground here. If these next two storms miss the pattern after looks shaky at best. Totals to date don't tell the whole story.
What's your snow otg at?

Its maybe 8 or 9 inches?  We havent held great snow cover.  Its not a snow cover year.  Im not snow cover obsessed.  I like totals and storms.  Up and down.  

Its maybe 8 or 9 inches?  We havent held great snow cover.  Its not a snow cover year.  Im not snow cover obsessed.  I like totals and storms.  Up and down.  

I'm not sure what is up with the airport observers but they must measure snow every 15mins to get some of the totals they've been reporting. I raise an eyebrow to some of the snow amounts. I know someone who lives in Goffs which is right behind the airport and he hasn't seen totals like have been reported. Colour me skeptical.

Just now, Hazey said:

I'm not sure what is up with the airport observers but they must measure snow every 15mins to get some of the totals they've been reporting. I raise an eyebrow to some of the snow amounts. I know someone who lives in Goffs which is right behind the airport and he hasn't seen totals like have been reported. Colour me skeptical.

Ahh i see.  How far from the airport are u and what direction?

This year has "suffered" from a lack of bigger storms.  Lots of confluence leads to weak to moderate waves. We hadnt had an eight incher until monday...we had like 5 6" type snows in december.  Could add to the perception?

Ahh i see.  How far from the airport are u and what direction?

This year has "suffered" from a lack of bigger storms.  Lots of confluence leads to weak to moderate waves. We hadnt had an eight incher until monday...we had like 5 6" type snows in december.  Could add to the perception?

I'm about 13km south of the airport. They do have elevation there. 100m higher than my location. I believe that is how they are ahead. YHZ had a 8" mash potato event that was ra/sn with little accumulations here. Had a 8" snowfall here on dec 12th I believe. The rest was nickel and dimes. Pretty much nothing since dec 19th. Won't deny I'm hungry for more.

5 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I'm about 13km south of the airport. They do have elevation there. 100m higher than my location. I believe that is how they are ahead. YHZ had a 8" mash potato event that was ra/sn with little accumulations here. Had a 8" snowfall here on dec 12th I believe. The rest was nickel and dimes. Pretty much nothing since dec 19th. Won't deny I'm hungry for more.

Ahh yeah that makes a big difference. Shearwater might be more representative than stanfield.  Yyt is at least in st. John's lol...though their elevation of 140.5 meters makes them on of the snowier locations in city...only down by the west end approaching mt. Carson at just over 200 m is snowier. Im at about 80 m in center city. Way better than downtown but less than the airport. 

That sunday storm has a lot of potential there.  We'll see...everyhing wants to deamplify this year at the last minute and go southeast...

Ahh yeah that makes a big difference. Shearwater might be more representative than stanfield.  Yyt is at least in st. John's lol...though their elevation of 140.5 meters makes them on of the snowier locations in city...only down by the west end approaching mt. Carson at just over 200 m is snowier. Im at about 80 m in center city. Way better than downtown but less than the airport. 

That sunday storm has a lot of potential there.  We'll see...everyhing wants to deamplify this year at the last minute and go southeast...

Yeah I'm at 60m and the airport is 133m so there's that. Shearwater is much closer to the water so they get a fraction of what I receive. I'm in between.

You might end up catching these waves. 500cms or bust...lol.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If only we can get a negative EPO too. 

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

Thanks. You guys are doing alright with the snowfalls. You above normal?

Way above.  Average snowfall thru Jan 4 is 27" and my current 44.9" is about my average thru Feb. 1.  It's only 3.3" below last year's total, and the nearby long-term co-op (Farmington) is already a couple inches ahead of what they had for 15-16.  Do not wish to talk too soon, however.  December snow was well AN in both 2012 and 2013, then both were followed by Januarys with about 20% of average.

14 hours ago, Hazey said:

The theme continues to be NNE winter overall. Winter is throwing us a bone with this weekends threat but won't surprise me to see it revert back to what we've been getting with cutters and late secondary handoffs.

You do realize the South is about to get hit with an historic storm

Archived