• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January, the 2nd Meteorological winter month...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lot of rain this week. Dave Epstein rejoice. Hopefully some snow next weekend finally. Pattern looks pretty good overall on paper, but of course details to be determined. At least there is a little Greenland ridging. Still a cutter risk, but I think this pattern is better for SNE compared to December.  

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

By the time the 5th rolls around we will basically be a week shy of the mid point of winter. Hopefully by then the pattern will be looking more favorable but I would not be the least bit surprised if it doesn't.

settle down Beavis. January 5 is the 15th day of winter. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like a lot of rain this week. Dave Epstein rejoice. Hopefully some snow next weekend finally. Pattern looks pretty good overall on paper, but of course details to be determined. At least there is a little Greenland ridging. Still a cutter risk, but I think this pattern is better for SNE compared to December.  

Yes I saw the WPC qpf giving us all 1+" of precip through Thursday, most of which is rain even up here.  :(

9 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

By the time the 5th rolls around we will basically be a week shy of the mid point of winter. Hopefully by then the pattern will be looking more favorable but I would not be the least bit surprised if it doesn't.

Met winter, maybe.  For most of us, "snow winter" probably reaches midpoint about Jan. 31.  (Thru last winter, 18th at this location, my average thru Jan. 31 has been 43.4", Feb. 1 onward, 43.8".)

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Apparently March is not a winter month?

Neither is Dec. So, 2 months of winter but since Feb is short we really only have one true full month to hang our hopes on. However, considering there is always a Jan warmup/torch that lasts two weeks, we are down to two weeks in Jan and a high sun angle shortened month of Feb to get our rocks off.

Not much talk about the upcoming clipper... looks to have some potential.  Be nice to get one more event in before the mixed and rain event early in the week.

BTV has advisories up for 3-6" of snow.

205 PM EST FRI DEC 30 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY
TO 8 AM EST SUNDAY...

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES...
  MAINLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EVENING.

4 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Halifax airport has 77.9 cm this month, that's over 40 cm more than average.  Why the consternation? 

Yeah true but it's no good based on the fact that their has been way too much rain. That snow is all gone. A normal winter is suppose to be a winter with lots of snow/ice but very little rain. Up and down temperatures do nothing for me.

29 minutes ago, leo1000 said:

Yeah true but it's no good based on the fact that their has been way too much rain. That snow is all gone. A normal winter is suppose to be a winter with lots of snow/ice but very little rain. Up and down temperatures do nothing for me.

Don't you guys get thaws during the winter due to the gulf stream?

9 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'd say Nov. 20-Morch 5

Anything before and after that doesn't seem winter 

A little unbalanced...way better chance for snow on Mar 10 or even Mar 15 than in mid November. I think Dec 10-Mar 20 or Dec 15-Mar 20 is a good description of winter for our areas. We usually see our first real accumulation in early-mid Dec, and last real accumulation around the spring equinox(3/20). Our last real snow last year was 3/20, in 2015 also 4" on 3/20, 2009 1" 3/20, 2004 twin equinox storms, seems pretty clear though Mar 2012 and Mar 2010 had no snow...For your area, I might say like Dec 5-Mar 25 since you have some elevation which matters most in late season when we have cold air but high sun angle. 

6 hours ago, leo1000 said:

Yeah a thaw in January not in December's. 

You live close to the coast, at low elevation, and near the Gulf Stream if you are around Halifax. It would be MORE likely to get warmth and loss of snowpack in this location in December because ocean temps are warmer in early winter than mid-winter, and coastal SSTs have a big impact on the. climate in the Canadian Maritimes.

Case-in-point: you are at the same latitude as Minneapolis, but it doesnt usually hit -30F in Halifax in winter whereas Minneapolis gets in that terrority at least at some point in most winters. Halifax has an average Jan mean of 25.7F whereas Minneapolis is 15.6F, a difference of over 10F along the same latitude.

3 hours ago, nzucker said:

A little unbalanced...way better chance for snow on Mar 10 or even Mar 15 than in mid November. I think Dec 10-Mar 20 or Dec 15-Mar 20 is a good description of winter for our areas. We usually see our first real accumulation in early-mid Dec, and last real accumulation around the spring equinox(3/20). Our last real snow last year was 3/20, in 2015 also 4" on 3/20, 2009 1" 3/20, 2004 twin equinox storms, seems pretty clear though Mar 2012 and Mar 2010 had no snow...For your area, I might say like Dec 5-Mar 25 since you have some elevation which matters most in late season when we have cold air but high sun angle. 

You live close to the coast, at low elevation, and near the Gulf Stream if you are around Halifax. It would be MORE likely to get warmth and loss of snowpack in this location in December because ocean temps are warmer in early winter than mid-winter, and coastal SSTs have a big impact on the. climate in the Canadian Maritimes.

Case-in-point: you are at the same latitude as Minneapolis, but it doesnt usually hit -30F in Halifax in winter whereas Minneapolis gets in that terrority at least at some point in most winters. Halifax has an average Jan mean of 25.7F whereas Minneapolis is 15.6F, a difference of over 10F along the same latitude.

He lives on the north coast of NS in New Glasgow which is a bit colder and definitely snowier than Halifax.  leo-Know your climo.  

He lives on the north coast of NS in New Glasgow which is a bit colder and definitely snowier than Halifax.  leo-Know your climo.  

He knows, he's the Kevin of the north....lol. Expects it to be cold and snowy from Nov 30th until April 30th. No point explaining. Have to let him wallow in his self induced misery created by unrealistic expectations.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Every year we go over the same things. March and December are essentially the same snowfall month.

True, though it seems March snowfall is more variable.

I'd say Nov. 20-Morch 5

Anything before and after that doesn't seem winter 

In 2001 we had 19" fall on 3/30-31, bringing the depth to 48" - looked mighty wintry to me.  And in 19 Novembers here, only once (2002) have I measured more than 7" total snow by 11/20, and that's the only year when snow cover was unbroken Nov 20 thru the end of winter.

15 minutes ago, leo1000 said:

Talking about the pattern. I have seen many panicking this morning about a breakdown in the pattern after January 10th?. 

I'd say let's get through at least the next week before worrying about a breakdown. And people really shouldn't panic over modeled solutions 240 hours away. Regardless, EPS has ridging up through AK through day 15. I wouldn't call that panic inducing.

Archived