Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

it would make sense for it to happen in Jan.   Normals are as low as they get, so you could still have a big +++ departure and get some snow.  Much harder to do in Dec, Feb and March.   A +7 in Feb means alot of days in the 50's.

I agree, plus the daylight starts getting very noticeable by February.

1 hour ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

Yes but philly and dc have not done too well.

Yeah, definitely not.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC actually tied with last year for the number of days from 12/1-1/30 with daily low temperatures staying above 32.

Notice how nearly all the top years except 1932 and 1973 have been since 1998. Close to 40 days is average for

Norfolk , VA. 

January concluded with the Arctic Oscillation (AO) at +1.733 (preliminary value). The preliminary monthly average was +0.915 and 94% of the days in January saw a positive AO.

For meteorological winter to date, the AO has averaged +1.319. The lowest figure was -0.297 on December 2, 2016. The highest figure was +4.742 on December 21, 2016. To date, 89% days have seen the AO > 0. If every day starting tomorrow had negative values, positive values would have occurred on 61% of days during meteorological winter.

The distribution of values to date has been:

+3 or above: 4%
+2 or above: 19%
+1 or above: 60%
>0: 89%
<0: 11%
-1 or below: 0%

20 hours ago, bluewave said:

We are already at record levels of snowfall for it being this warm in January. This is the first time that JFK finished with above normal snowfall for it being so mild.

Closest Januaries at to currently monthly average

1990...39.4...1.4"

2016...39.1...11.1"....ties for 4th warmest on record through 1/29

2006...39.1...2.1"

2002...38.9...4.1"

1949...38.1...5.2"

and it's snowing here again- started at 10 am

On 1/29/2017 at 2:23 PM, bluewave said:

Areas north of our region will be the big warm departure winners in January.

January departures through 1/28

MSS...+12.1

BTV...+11.6

LGA...+7.0

PHL...+5.8

DCA..+6.5

and we thought it would be a better winter for them up north.

todays ao forecast is encouraging...we just could see a negative ao in the near future...If tomorrow's forecast is similar then I will expect it to happen...It probably will back off a bit...that's happened all year so far...all we need is a few weeks with a negative ao like February 1993...that could help set up some interesting scenarios down the line...

1 minute ago, uncle W said:

todays ao forecast is encouraging...we just could see a negative ao in the near future...If tomorrow's forecast is similar then I will expect it to happen...It probably will back off a bit...that's happened all year so far...all we need is a few weeks with a negative ao like February 1993...that could help set up some interesting scenarios down the line...

Hopefully, otherwise we run out of time.  Outside of a few renegade events, March 20-21 seems to be around the date when to expect our last accumulating snowfall.

21 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I've seen such a beautiful forecast of AO a few weeks ago. Didn't verify and flipped the next day.

20 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Hopefully, otherwise we run out of time.  Outside of a few renegade events, March 20-21 seems to be around the date when to expect our last accumulating snowfall.

the period from February 22-March 22 can be snowy...It can also be Sunny and 80...I thought all along March would see above normal snowfall...First we have to get thru February...it is known as the snowiest month on average...

2 minutes ago, Morris said:

I've seen such a beautiful forecast of AO a few weeks ago. Didn't verify and flipped the next day.

today's forecast better than yesterdays...three days in a row now that showed a negative ao developing...tomorrow could be different like so many times this year...this is the first time the forecast hasn't backed off after two days...

4 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the period from February 22-March 22 can be snowy...It can also be Sunny and 80...I thought all along March would see above normal snowfall...First we have to get thru February...it is known as the snowiest month on average...

Yep, snow in the first week of March is more likely than in the first week of December.  There does seem to be a sharp drop off in opportunities after March 22, even in the winters you analoged.  Funny thing is, snow seems to be more common in the first week of April than it is in the last week of March.

7 minutes ago, uncle W said:

Best case scenario would be a snowy February and a snowy March :P  Some of your analogs showed that.  It's also quite possible that this February ends up being the coldest out of the three winter months.

Archived